none
An issue when marking as answer before posting the answer RRS feed

• Question

• I was posting an answer (Replying) and after writing it down completely, I forgot to hit the Post button, but I went to next step an accepted the answer provided by some one else. Now when trying to reply again it does not let me post any thing because I have a reply open already and there is no sign of how to see my reply or have it posted.

Even the Back button of browser is disabled. I think that is an issue.

After closing the page and reopening it, All is gone and I have to type again.

Thanks

YSobhdel
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:20 AM

Answers

• On 2011-09-27 08:20, YSobhdel wrote:

I was posting an answer (Replying) and after writing it down completely, I forgot to hit the Post button, but I went to next step an accepted the answer provided by some one else. Now when trying to reply again it does not let me post any thing because I have a reply open already and there is no sign of how to see my reply or have it posted.

Thanks

Note that you could have copied the text you had written before closing the editing window.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:14 AM
  • It would be great if any one can comment beneath each reply or post, when they are simply saying their idea and not the solution or answer. We can comment on every post and we don't have to make a quote in those sites. I think it preserves a lot of space and keeps the simplicity. Meanwhile, you can follow a thread from beginning to end, but here you must search for the quotes to specific answer, to follow the comments.

YSobhdel

I added that feature request here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4703.aspx#Forums

I could see that it might be a design decision though, because then it's harder to find the newest articles when they're embedded in sub-threads (they're not simply at the bottom anymore). Instead this could be a "Show Conversation" feature like on Twitter where it lists out the conversation path when you want it to. Or an option to list them flat when you want to see the most recent.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:15 PM
    Owner
  • It would be great if any one can comment beneath each reply or post, when they are simply saying their idea and not the solution or answer. We can comment on every post and we don't have to make a quote in those sites. I think it preserves a lot of space and keeps the simplicity. Meanwhile, you can follow a thread from beginning to end, but here you must search for the quotes to specific answer, to follow the comments.

YSobhdel

I added that feature request

Unnecessary because it is already available, albeit cumbersome to use.   In your My Settings, the first option is  How do you want to see your threads?  My usual preference is  Flat list view.   I don't know what the default is but I occasionally have to toggle it to Threaded list view to understand the context a post was made in.   If there was such a thing as Next Unread (e.g. an analog to a common newsreader command) I might be able to leave it in that view; otherwise it is much easier to scan changes in threads (in a web forum view) by using the Flat list view.   Using an NNTP bridge to read forums can avoid the problem too.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Very helpful! What does the NNTP Bridge checkbox do?

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

The check box enables you to set up access to the forums in a newsreader such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail. See http://communitybridge.codep lex.com/.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:58 PM
  •  
    The check box enables you to set up access to the forums in a newsreader such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail. See http://communitybridge.codep lex.com/.

Thanks Stefan! I wrote an article around this information here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/what-the-nntp-bridge-checkbox-does-in-the-technet-and-msdn-forums-my-settings.aspx
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:52 AM
    Owner

All replies

• On 2011-09-27 08:20, YSobhdel wrote:

I was posting an answer (Replying) and after writing it down completely, I forgot to hit the Post button, but I went to next step an accepted the answer provided by some one else. Now when trying to reply again it does not let me post any thing because I have a reply open already and there is no sign of how to see my reply or have it posted.

Thanks

Note that you could have copied the text you had written before closing the editing window.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:14 AM
  • :D

I know I could, but as I have written there, I didn't do it on purpose and the important part is that it kept saying "you have an open reply and you can't have any more". How about that?

Cheers

YSobhdel
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:47 AM
  • the important part is that it kept saying "you have an open reply and you can't have any more". How about that?

Sounds like my Nowhere to go state

---

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:17 AM
  • I'm pretty close to just doing away with the dynamic posting scenario. There are just too many issues with it. I'd be curious to hear what people think about the idea to move reply/post to its own page, so user could make mistakes we'd have to code solutions for. 

Thoughts?  Personally, I really like the convenience of the dynamic nature of the app. But fixing all these edge case scenarios of people clicking on things causes a lot of complaints. I suppose we could also make the editing/reply window a modal div so users ONLY have that option. Maybe we should do this.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I think it will be nice if reply is opened, all other actions are disabled. I'm not sure I like the idea of modal window as often while I'm replying I need to see other messages in the thread.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I think it will be nice if reply is opened, all other actions are disabled. I'm not sure I like the idea of modal window as often while I'm replying I need to see other messages in the thread.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

I agree: if a separate window opens, you won't see the message in its context, which would be a great disadvantage. It's better to disable all other actions when an edit window is open.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I'm pretty close to just doing away with the dynamic posting scenario. There are just too many issues with it. I'd be curious to hear what people think about the idea to move reply/post to its own page, so user could make mistakes we'd have to code solutions for. 

Thoughts?  Personally, I really like the convenience of the dynamic nature of the app. But fixing all these edge case scenarios of people clicking on things causes a lot of complaints. I suppose we could also make the editing/reply window a modal div so users ONLY have that option. Maybe we should do this.

Either dynamic and keep fixing or go with the modal div popup box (but not a window). Dynamic like this feels more like comments than other forums where you have to go back and forth between pages. Better to stay on the same page.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:49 PM
    Owner
  • I feel a little uncomfortable with this kind of forum and I think the structure provided by stackexchange sites are more convenient (e.g. http://cstheory.stackexchange.com/). I think it will be more readable.
    YSobhdel
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:42 AM
  • I'm pretty close to just doing away with the dynamic posting scenario.

I don't have any problem with you just saying:  "WAD/BAD: Don't do that.  Snicker if you like."   ; )

What I hate is finding useful functionality removed because that is found to be the easiest way of dealing with WAD/BAD issues.   The prevalence of that "resolution" has made me more circumspect about reporting bugs, especially when it involves some arcane feature or quirk that I really like and want to keep using.

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I feel a little uncomfortable with this kind of forum and I think the structure provided by stackexchange sites are more convenient (e.g. http://cstheory.stackexchange.com/). I think it will be more readable.
    YSobhdel

What features specificially would you want to see here? Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:49 PM
    Owner

• What features specificially would you want to see here? Thanks!
    It would be great if any one can comment beneath each reply or post, when they are simply saying their idea and not the solution or answer. We can comment on every post and we don't have to make a quote in those sites. I think it preserves a lot of space and keeps the simplicity. Meanwhile, you can follow a thread from beginning to end, but here you must search for the quotes to specific answer, to follow the comments.

YSobhdel
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:39 AM

YSobhdel

I added that feature request here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4703.aspx#Forums

I could see that it might be a design decision though, because then it's harder to find the newest articles when they're embedded in sub-threads (they're not simply at the bottom anymore). Instead this could be a "Show Conversation" feature like on Twitter where it lists out the conversation path when you want it to. Or an option to list them flat when you want to see the most recent.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:15 PM
    Owner
  • Thoughts?  Personally, I really like the convenience of the dynamic nature of the app. But fixing all these edge case scenarios of people clicking on things causes a lot of complaints. I suppose we could also make the editing/reply window a modal div so users ONLY have that option. Maybe we should do this.

Brent,

Is this added to the bug list? If so, then that's the answer here. Thanks!

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:17 PM
    Owner

YSobhdel

I added that feature request

Unnecessary because it is already available, albeit cumbersome to use.   In your My Settings, the first option is  How do you want to see your threads?  My usual preference is  Flat list view.   I don't know what the default is but I occasionally have to toggle it to Threaded list view to understand the context a post was made in.   If there was such a thing as Next Unread (e.g. an analog to a common newsreader command) I might be able to leave it in that view; otherwise it is much easier to scan changes in threads (in a web forum view) by using the Flat list view.   Using an NNTP bridge to read forums can avoid the problem too.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Unnecessary because it is already available, albeit cumbersome to use.   In your My Settings, the first option is  How do you want to see your threads?  My usual preference is  Flat list view.   I don't know what the default is but I occasionally have to toggle it to Threaded list view to understand the context a post was made in.   If there was such a thing as Next Unread (e.g. an analog to a common newsreader command) I might be able to leave it in that view; otherwise it is much easier to scan changes in threads (in a web forum view) by using the Flat list view.   Using an NNTP bridge to read forums can avoid the problem too.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Thanks Robert!

Very helpful! What does the NNTP Bridge checkbox do?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:59 PM
    Owner
  • Very helpful! What does the NNTP Bridge checkbox do?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:58 PM
  •  

Thanks Stefan! I wrote an article around this information here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/what-the-nntp-bridge-checkbox-does-in-the-technet-and-msdn-forums-my-settings.aspx
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:52 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Stefan! I wrote an article around this information

@ Ed

Not to go too far off topic but I think it is also relevant to point out that as well as writing for each individual's personal threading preference or mechanism all posters should also consider the currently rather ill-served RSS feed reader.   E.g. in the plain text view in particular, the only cues that RSS feed readers get of who is posting and what they are replying to is provided by the thoughtfulness of the poster.   ; }

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:07 PM