Vail Remote Access using IPhone RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS Vail in Hyper-V on a 2008 R2 server. When I access remote web site using Internet Explorer (from an XP SP3), I see more options as compare to my IPhone 3G/safari.

On the IPhone I only see shared folders (Computers and Media Library) tabs are not available.

Overall, Vail remote UI look much nicer on the IPhone as compare to WHS V1.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:12 PM

Answers

• Computers requires ActiveX (for the Remote Desktop/Dashboard functionality) which is only available in Internet Explorer, and Media requires Silverlight, which isn't available for the iPhone (yet, I don't know about future plans). If a client capability isn't present, the corresponding section won't be displayed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• Computers requires ActiveX (for the Remote Desktop/Dashboard functionality) which is only available in Internet Explorer, and Media requires Silverlight, which isn't available for the iPhone (yet, I don't know about future plans). If a client capability isn't present, the corresponding section won't be displayed.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I wish I could say that our remote access functionality required flash <grin> but it doesn’t.  in WHS v1 we didn’t have a “mobile” view of the RWW, mobile is bubbling up on our radar and what you’re seeing on the iPhone is some extra thinking and some extra code to make the mobile experience better than it was in WHS v1.  Including speed of loading.  So we’ve stripped out what phones can’t do (ActiveX controls) and optimized the experience for what they can do.  Sure there is still a long way to go to make mobile phones and PCs equal, but Vail is a step towards that.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:1986ca45-3fac-4656-98ae-705995a91b4f...
    Computers requires ActiveX (for the Remote Desktop/Dashboard functionality) which is only available in Internet Explorer, and Media requires Silverlight, which isn't available for the iPhone (yet, I don't know about future plans). If a client capability isn't present, the corresponding section won't be displayed.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:14 PM
  • I really like the stripped down mobile version. I access my Vail Server with an Ipod Touch. Had to clear cache from the previous WHS v1 though.

Not sure if it's a bug, but I tried the "view desktop version" and it worked with no problem. However, I couldn't get my safari browser to bring back the mobile version without clearing the cache again. Is there a way to force mobile mode or have a "view mobile version" option? The latter might be a good option for those with slower internet connections.

Tony

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:30 PM