questions from an Asterisk user RRS feed

• Question

• We currently use Asterisk (Trixbox distribution) in house, I don't think OCS is yet to the point where it can replicate everything we do, but I thought I would see how far it can get since we're a mostly MS shop and are migrating to Exchange Server 2007 as soon as we receive the April Action Pack update.

1. Can it integrate with standard SIP based VoIP providers that support 'bring your own device' such as Broadvoice and Vitelity?

2. Does it support multiple accounts to the same provider?  I have 4 connections to BV (though I am beta testing BV trunking), each account has a different incoming number - one goes to my IVR (auto call attendant) and the other three are forwarded directly to specific extensions.

3. Can it interface with a T-1 (PRI)?  I have Asterisk interfaced with an ethernet based FoneBridge via a Zaptel driver (www.red-fone.com).  This is mandatory since faxes over VoIP are unreliable due to technical constraints and we send a very large volume of automated faxes (100K+ pages/month).

4. Does it work with SIP hardware based handsets?  I mostly use Sipura SPA-2002s to convert our standard desk phones into SIP phones.

5. Is there fax software that integrates with all this that has an exposed webservice or something of the sort so I can send a PDF to the fax server, route it to OCS and out over the T-1.  We wrote a front end webservice for Hylafax which then uses IAXmodem to pass the fax to Asterisk which routes it over the T-1.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I apologize in advance that I am not going to be able to answer your questions in great detail, however I think it would be best to redirect you to the OCS_VOIP_GUIDE.doc.  This document outlines how to configure OCS, as well as outlines our supported topologies for the 2007 version of the product.

With that being said, here are the answers that I can provide at this time:

1) No, please reference the OCD_VOIP_GUIDE doc for supported configurations

2) Not a supported configuration

4) OCS requires either a Plan A or Plan B Gateway.  At this time Asterisk is not a supported gateways.

5) At this time there are no third party FAX applications that have been certified for OCS.

Best Regards,

Shawn

OCS 2007 Beta Team Support

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I apologize in advance that I am not going to be able to answer your questions in great detail, however I think it would be best to redirect you to the OCS_VOIP_GUIDE.doc.  This document outlines how to configure OCS, as well as outlines our supported topologies for the 2007 version of the product.

With that being said, here are the answers that I can provide at this time:

1) No, please reference the OCD_VOIP_GUIDE doc for supported configurations

2) Not a supported configuration

4) OCS requires either a Plan A or Plan B Gateway.  At this time Asterisk is not a supported gateways.

5) At this time there are no third party FAX applications that have been certified for OCS.

Best Regards,

Shawn

OCS 2007 Beta Team Support

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Thanks Shawn, sounds like something to keep an eye as it matures as a product but nothing that can come close to meeting our needs today.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:35 PM