Another Remote Access question RRS feed

• Question

• I just can't figure out what is wrong with my Remote Access.  I can access my web page by the IP address, but not by the web link.  My router is a Linksys WRT54G and ports 80, 443 and 4125 are verified open.  I just reinstalled the software on the server in a last ditch effort in case there was a problem with that.  (Still doesn't work)

Windows firewall is "on" on the server, but seems to be properly configured.

My first question is about port forwarding on the DSL modem.  Does this have to be configured?  Under categories I chose "server" and under available rules I chose "web server." 

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• It does pass all the tests when I turn off and repair on the remote access page on the console.  But if I click on the link on the page I get "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at xxx.homeserver.com."

this can be a normal behavior, if you attempt to connect to your home server from within your home network via Internet. Not all routers support this kind of loopback, so only a test to access your WHS site from a different location can clarify, if the configuration itself is working.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Danke!  Olaf nailed it.  I checked connectivity from my laptop while on the VPN and it came right up! 

I have spent days trying to figure this out and its been working the whole time.  And its up and running just in time for my family to upload their Christmas pictures from all over the country.

Thanks again for the help!
    • Marked as answer by nashjeff Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:40 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:55 PM

All replies

• What do you mean with "web link"?
    "Web server" would usually only forward port 80.
    If you have a DSL modem and a router separated, either the DSL modem should be configured in bridge mode to avoid double NAT or you will need to forward the three mentioned ports separately from the modem to the routers external interface address and from the router to the server.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:19 AM
  • when you setup remote access on your server does it verify and confirm everything is ok. Also you could see if you can upgrade your router, mine had this problem and I was confident enough to upgrade the firmware and it worked and now I can access the server using remote access.
    HMG
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Olaf,

When I refer to the "web link" I mean the link under Domain Name on the Remote Access page on the console. 

My DSL modem doesn't seem to have any way to forward specific ports, it only give me an option of choosing categories.  I chose "server," but there is no way of know which ports are forwarded.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:04 PM
  • It does pass all the tests when I turn off and repair on the remote access page on the console.  But if I click on the link on the page I get "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at xxx.homeserver.com."

I've read that some people have had success using third party firmware on their Linksys router and I'll try that this evening when I get off work.  I think the problem lies with the DSL modem, but at least new firmware can help me eliminate problem with the router.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:10 PM
  • I'm not sure how you have your router set up but I have my network setup for static IP addresses and within the router I have the the ports (80, 443, and 4125) forwarded to the IP address of the server.

If you have your router set up to use UPnP and DHCP then WHS will make all the necessary port forwarding options for you whenever your WHS gets a new IP address from the router.

Hope this helps!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:43 PM
  • MGD King this is not the case with all routers, mine wouldnt allow me to do that in the beginning, I had to have it setup in a way where as my Server had to have a static IP Address created by me, and have the IP researved in the router for it and then have the ports forwarded. When I found out that other people had the same problem with the same router, they had also said that they had upgraded the firmware and managed to get it to work. So sometimes, I suppose the router has to be updated.
    HMG
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:13 PM
  • HenryMGray, what type of router do you use?  I have the Linksys WRT54G v.6 and its not upgradeable to the Tomato firmware I was planning on using.  I'll fight with static IP addresses this weekend, too tired to bang my head up against the wall tonight.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:58 AM

this can be a normal behavior, if you attempt to connect to your home server from within your home network via Internet. Not all routers support this kind of loopback, so only a test to access your WHS site from a different location can clarify, if the configuration itself is working.
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:39 AM

Olaf

Danke!  Olaf nailed it.  I checked connectivity from my laptop while on the VPN and it came right up! 

I have spent days trying to figure this out and its been working the whole time.  And its up and running just in time for my family to upload their Christmas pictures from all over the country.

Thanks again for the help!
    • Marked as answer by nashjeff Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:40 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:55 PM