CRM 4.0 Installation Issues \ CRMAppPool Application Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been trying to install CRM 4.0 for hours and keep running into the
    same problem.

I am installing on a Windows 2003 R2 x86 machine with SQL 2005 SP2.
    The server is currently our SharePoint server so during the installation, I
    am installing CRM into a new website on port 5555.

Every time I run the installation things look to be working fine and appear
    to complete successfully however after the install and a restart the CRM
    deployment in not available via IIS. The error I receive when trying to
    browse the site appears below.

"You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program
    from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied."

When I view the properties of the site I do in fact see that the home
    directory lacks execute permissions of any kind. It seems that the CRMAppPool
    is never created during installation.

Any suggestions or ideas as to how to best rectify this issue are sincerely
    appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    JW

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:12 PM

Answers

• We had this problem on just about every server we tried to install CRM 4.0 on.

Eventually the problem was found to be due to the CRM installer running an IISReset rather than IISReset /noforce.  If there is a problem restarting the services in the time IISReset expects changes made to IIS are lost and you loose your AppPool, permissions and rather a lot of other things...

In our case the problem was WinRM - installed at some point on all our servers by WSUS.  With WinRM installed IISResets take longer than IISReset expects....  The easiest solution for us was to simply stop and disable WinRM for the duration of the install.

If you don't know what is causing the problem Microsoft Support's workaround is this:

1.       Remove the read and execute permission for the file iisreset.exe (can't rename - it's SFC protected). Then install CRM 4.0 again.

2.       When installer gives Retry/Abort/Ignore error perform an iisreset /noforce manually (you might see some services don't stop in time).  Then continue the install (Retry option I think?).

3.       Give all users and services read and execute permissions to the file iisreset again after the install

--

Simon

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:48 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:04 PM

All replies

• I've not met this before - I can't see any particular reason why the setup program would fail in this way, unless SharePoint is somehow automatically extending the new site as a SharePoint site (I'm not even sure it can). The first thing I'd do is check the setup log for CRM (in C:\Documents and Settings\<setup user>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs) to see if there's anything useful in there.

I'd suggest creating a new web site in IIS prior to installing CRM, rather than have CRM install the web site, to see if that makes any difference

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Verify the permissions on ''<the installation directory>\CRMWeb''

By default, it's ''C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\CRMWeb''

Also, make sure you disabled anonymous access on the web site. 
    • Proposed as answer by MaximeFortier Friday, June 19, 2009 5:19 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:29 PM
  • We had this problem on just about every server we tried to install CRM 4.0 on.

Eventually the problem was found to be due to the CRM installer running an IISReset rather than IISReset /noforce.  If there is a problem restarting the services in the time IISReset expects changes made to IIS are lost and you loose your AppPool, permissions and rather a lot of other things...

In our case the problem was WinRM - installed at some point on all our servers by WSUS.  With WinRM installed IISResets take longer than IISReset expects....  The easiest solution for us was to simply stop and disable WinRM for the duration of the install.

If you don't know what is causing the problem Microsoft Support's workaround is this:

1.       Remove the read and execute permission for the file iisreset.exe (can't rename - it's SFC protected). Then install CRM 4.0 again.

2.       When installer gives Retry/Abort/Ignore error perform an iisreset /noforce manually (you might see some services don't stop in time).  Then continue the install (Retry option I think?).

3.       Give all users and services read and execute permissions to the file iisreset again after the install

--

Simon

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:48 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:04 PM
  • I had the same problem listed above.  No issues with the install, but error 403.1 after reboot.  I followed Simon Hetzels suggestion to disable WinRM, and the next attempted install worked completely.  Thanks!

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:57 PM
  • The WinRM suggestion worked for me too, thanks for sharing!
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:45 PM

--

Simon

Note: Leave the read and execute permission for Administrator as it is.

Otherwise iisreset /noforce also won't work for you...

Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:31 PM