E-mail Router - more mail addresses in one Queue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

In our company we have a Customer Service queue for the incoming e-mails in Dynamics CRM Online 2011. A certain e-mail address is configured to the queue, something like service@company.com. The mails sent to this address appear in the CS queue. I want to achieve that the e-mails sent to our other 10 e-mail addresses (like marketing@company.com, anything@company.com) also go to the CS queue. However I don't know how to do this.

I could think of two solutions, neither of them is working for me:

1. Mail forwarding

If I forward the e-mails from the other e-mail addresses ( via the mail server, which is not Exchange) , to the service@company.com address. Then nothing happens the e-mail doesnt appear in the queue. For example an e-mail was sent to marketing@company.com, then it is forwarded to service@company.com. In the e-mail the recipient is marketing@company.com. The e-mail does NOT appear in the CS queue. I guess because the recipient address is not the e-mail address of the queue. Can I configure for one e-mail queue to receive mails from more addresses?

2. A queue for every e-mail address 

My second thought was to create a queue for every other e-mail address and automatically put them into CS queue via a workflow. In this case the queues would be totally useless, besides moving the e-mails to the CS queue. But they still appear in the list of queues in the Queues user interface. This is not acceptable. Can I make this queues not to appear in the queue list?

3. ?

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tamas

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Tamas,

Option 2 seems the best option - you can make the queues owned by a user in a top level business unit and give users only access to queues owned by users in their own business unit (green half pie chart in the security role for queues). This will mean they won't see the queues for every email address, but only the CS queue.

There is a third option I explored a while back which was to use a email header re-writer solution that intercepts your emails and re-writes the from email address before it hits the email router. I'm not sure this is really that practical for most people though.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Tamas Molnar Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Tamas,

Option 2 seems the best option - you can make the queues owned by a user in a top level business unit and give users only access to queues owned by users in their own business unit (green half pie chart in the security role for queues). This will mean they won't see the queues for every email address, but only the CS queue.

There is a third option I explored a while back which was to use a email header re-writer solution that intercepts your emails and re-writes the from email address before it hits the email router. I'm not sure this is really that practical for most people though.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Tamas Molnar Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, not permitting the read rights for the queues is a perfect solution! I also realized this after some thinking.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:54 PM