Installing/Uninstalling while under IT lockdown RRS feed

• Question

• I'm afraid this will be just an FYI, but I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

I installed Live Mesh on my new work computer.  Seemed to be working perfectly, but after a reboot, I'm experiencing all sorts of errors.  I didn't realize when I was installing that the computer has some restrictions thanks to our IT department.

Bottom line: I can't uninstall live mesh.  I can't install live mesh.  And there are folders on my desktop that I cannot delete because windows "cannot read from disk."

Details:

Windows XP Professional
    Limited user account

Installed with no trouble yesterday, began synchronizing folders.  Shut down at the end of the day.

Logged in today, Live Mesh started, but crashed again and again.

Tried uninstalling.  Failed -- no error message, just a red X icon appeared in a message from the notifier saying "Uninstalling Live Mesh"

Tried following the steps to edit the registry that appear in the sticky topic about install/uninstall troubleshooting in this forum.  Failed -- I am apparently not allowed to edit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE thanks to the IT department.

Now, any attempt to run the Live Mesh installer, even with the /uninstall or /repair switches fails and gives conflicting error messages (Live Mesh isn't installed! or Live mesh is already installed!)

Also, there are folders on my desktop with corrupted files that I cannot delete.

Basically, this is not a good day for me.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:07 PM

Answers

• I think that you may need to contact your local IT support people to get you user ID privileges elevated to local admin on the machine so that you can uninstall Live Mesh.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

Are you able to get to your Live Mesh Servicing log (%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup)?  If you can, please email it to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please mention (or link to) this thread in your email, and put "ATTN: Ben" in the Subject line.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Thanks, Ben --

I have logs from before I tried uninstalling.  Hope they'll be helpful.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:06 PM
  • I think that you may need to contact your local IT support people to get you user ID privileges elevated to local admin on the machine so that you can uninstall Live Mesh.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:19 PM
  • In general I'd say: if you were able to install with limited permission you should also be able to uninstall. Maybe the crashed Mesh application blocks uninstall.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:52 PM
  • I wonder, Stefan, if the install was succesful and then on restart, settings were changed or reset by Group Policy or perhaps some 3rd party monitoring software deployed in the company environment that is now causing the crash and the inability to successfully uninstall.

In my workplace, they do some odd things with applying registry changes to attempt to control the PC. For whatever reason, they don't use GP, but apply these settings using a 3rd party program that runs at boot. I've seen some odd combinations of settings applied.

-steve

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:11 PM