How do I increase the Primary install Partition of 20gig to something larger? RRS feed

• Question

• I work with servers on a daily basis but this 20 gig partition on WHS in really aggitating. I like the way WHS works but I am countinually have to delete little files here and there just so the server contiunes to work. How can I make this partition larger?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:10 PM

Answers

• You don't, at least not in any supported way. By design, Windows Home Server is not Windows Server 2003 (lite or otherwise). It sounds to me like you've installed additional software on your server, and are running into resource constraints as a result. There are a couple of guides (at least one here on the forum, though I don't have a link for you, I'm afraid) that will walk you through, but there's no way to do it separate from a server installation or reinstallation. Given that the process is unsupported and messes with the way Drive Extender interacts with your drives, there is a certain amount of diffuse risk involved; you could conceivably make a mistake that causes data loss.

Bottom line: my honest recommendation is to figure out what processes you have on your server that are really out of place there, and belong on a desktop machine instead. that should lift the resource constraints you're hitting.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:23 PM

All replies

• You don't, at least not in any supported way. By design, Windows Home Server is not Windows Server 2003 (lite or otherwise). It sounds to me like you've installed additional software on your server, and are running into resource constraints as a result. There are a couple of guides (at least one here on the forum, though I don't have a link for you, I'm afraid) that will walk you through, but there's no way to do it separate from a server installation or reinstallation. Given that the process is unsupported and messes with the way Drive Extender interacts with your drives, there is a certain amount of diffuse risk involved; you could conceivably make a mistake that causes data loss.

Bottom line: my honest recommendation is to figure out what processes you have on your server that are really out of place there, and belong on a desktop machine instead. that should lift the resource constraints you're hitting.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:23 PM
  • The only things I have installed on the Install partition is all the drivers, Anti Virus Software, Java, LogMeIn Hamachi, and all the Microsft updates. Thats not a lot of stuff. Do you have any idea if Microsft will let us extend it to maybe 40 gig? Thanks!!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:28 PM
  • As I said, extending the SYS partition isn't supported. I think you must have way more than just that on your server, though; I don't log into the desktop on my production server regularly enough to say with certainty, but my test server has about 12 GB free on the SYS partition.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I work with servers on a daily basis but this 20 gig partition on WHS in really aggitating. I like the way WHS works but I am countinually have to delete little files here and there just so the server contiunes to work. How can I make this partition larger?
    I have the same exact problem. I only have 700mb left on my c: drive. To my knowledge there is not other software beyond anti-virus on the drive. Does it matter that I am backing up 5 computers? 
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 4:44 PM
  • From what I have read on these forums, I must have something other than WHS taking up space on C: drive. How do I determine what files I need and what files can be deleted? I am not computer guy, but have enough knowledge that makes me dangerous, so please explain in layman terms. I have already went to properties on the drive to clean it up, but that didn't do anything. Can I do a reinstall of just the C: drive?

Thanks for any help!

Justin
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I had the same problem lately.
    I did a disk cleanup and it removed about 8 Gb on temp files.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:22 PM

Try this tutorial ...it's not "supported" but it works if done, the right way, at the right time.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    • Proposed as answer by HTCHD2 Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:09 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:30 PM
  • The likely culprit, if you're not using WHS as a desktop, is volume shadow copies. If it's shadows eating up space on your C partition then there are three options:
    1) Delete them and wait for them to grow again. (loss of current file versions)
    2) Turn them off. (no versions of files)
    3) Increase the size of the C partition. (which may still get filled up eventually)

Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:37 PM
  • The likely culprit, if you're not using WHS as a desktop, is volume shadow copies. If it's shadows eating up space on your C partition then there are three options:
    1) Delete them and wait for them to grow again. (loss of current file versions)
    2) Turn them off. (no versions of files)
    3) Increase the size of the C partition. (which may still get filled up eventually)

No it's not.  Shadows don't run on the C partition on any WHS install (including RTM).
    • Proposed as answer by Bryanh99 Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:32 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:29 PM
  • If you are willing to reinstall WHS from stratch you can follow my blog at

http://bryansgeekzone.blogspot.com/2010/03/creating-larger-sys-main-partition-in.html

In addition, I will be adding additional items around adding WSS to my WHS server as well.  Up and running with no problems.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:34 PM
  • You can install the freeware version of Treesize on the server and try to determine, which folder eats up a lot of space.

If you have not installed anything special (i.e. SQL Server) it's often one of the logfiles or log folders getting out of control.

Locations from Server desktop are:
    %qlogs%
    c:\windows\system32\logfiles\...

In this case you should examine the specific log file to find out what is causing its growth before eliminating it.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:11 PM
  • I've noticed on more than one occasion that interupted downloads/uploads to the server left large files on c:

I don't remember the exact folders but it was in the excess of 5-7 GB. I'm guessing here but I assume these files were zipped files that never finished transferring when the connection was dropped. A disc cleanup didn't clean out the files and I had to do it manually.

I too, would love to have an option on install to make the system partition larger. Why is it limited to a certain amount of GB to begin with?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:52 PM
  • This is what i have been using and so far i have no issues, Granted this is not cheep but it does work

http://www.partition-tool.com/

hope this works for ya.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:45 PM