How to track user status / send messages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for the technology I need to learn about to solve a new-to-me development need. I know others have done this but for me this is a first.

I have an application that runs simulations for students. So this is instructor led and before the instructor starts the simulation they need to know that every student is logged in so first I need a method of not just raising an "event?" but also polling regularly to see they are still logged in.

Once logged in the instructor starts the simulation and the "project" is sent to the first person so I need to know a "location?...mac address of sorts" of that user. They do their part and then send it to the next person. So I need a way to "message" between logged in students.

The payload of these messages is text (maybe xml or json format but text none the less).

Once all students have done their part of the simulation (say student 6) it is sent back to student one who send it to the instructor as complete.

I want to emphasize again I'm not asking for someone to do this for me just what terms to Google, technologies to read, demos to learn from etc.

TIA

JB

• Moved by Bob Shen Friday, February 15, 2013 8:17 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:35 AM

Answers

• SMS would be cool to get to but for now I am just working with students in the same lab classroom with pc's in front of them. Somehow each student when they logged in would provide a unique id say machine name or mac addy. so when another student or the simulation needs to interact with them it can.

The machine name / mac address are my weak ideas for this I figured there were far more elegant ways.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/.NET/Q_27773139.html

thanks and regard love4csharp

Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:48 PM
  • SMS would be cool to get to but for now I am just working with students in the same lab classroom with pc's in front of them. Somehow each student when they logged in would provide a unique id say machine name or mac addy. so when another student or the simulation needs to interact with them it can.

The machine name / mac address are my weak ideas for this I figured there were far more elegant ways.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hi zzpluralza,

Thank you for visiting the MSDN forum. I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss Visual C#. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Bob Shen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:16 AM
  • What language are you using?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:41 AM
  • I am using c#. I was looking at an chat client on codeplex the other day as that is very similiar to what I need.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:23 PM
  • I don't understand why this was moved out of the C# forum. That would be the most appropriate place. I can move it back if you want.

Any luck with the Codeplex solution?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:21 AM