none
XP pro has busted my machine RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, well, this is how it goes.

I brought an Acer travelmate 244 from brother in law a while ago. I had a guy sort out some of the problems but it involves a new HD. He wasnt able top get the stuff off the HD so he put an upgraded drive in. It therefore meant that I was left with no O/S.

He therefore installed a copy of XP in again for me. Now, my machine has started telling me that my O/S is not genuine so I thought I had better get vista instead. Problem is now that the Acer, when booted up says there is no O/S system there. I have come to the conclusion that microsoft has buggered my machine up but what I want to know is, if I buy and install vista, will my files in my docs still be there or have I lost everything?

PS this was typed on the family vaio as I cant get the acer to even boot now.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• It appears you are experiencing a hardware problem with your computer or the operating system is not installed properly.  I would recommend that you contact Acer and order the Acer recovery media designed for you specific Acer model number. https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

Also, you cannot Windows Vista if the current Windows XP operating system is flagged as non-genuine.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Carey, thanks for replying. I have in between times, removed the battery and just pushed home a connection I believe to be the HD and now the system works again!

Back to what you said, would I have to buy a new XP from Microsoft instead? I think these anoption to do that with the validation messages I keep getting. I have the original sticker from my first XP home on the bottom of my unit. Will this do me any good?

Thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  I would recommend that you contact Acer and order the Acer recovery media designed for you specific Acer model number. https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

You do not have to buy anything from Microsoft.  The Acer Recovery Media is what you need.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:16 PM