Invalid Product Key for Vista....But it isn't! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought my laptop approx. one month ago and am having continual problems entering the product key in WORD. I am entering the 25 letter/number key found on the bottom of the machine on the authenticity sticker. I have put this number in MANY times without success. I have called the toll free number to receive a new Conformation ID, which was able to activate windows successfully for me, but the product key STILL will not work.

I have obviously used the 25 times grace period for using WORD without the product key, and am VERY anxious to be able to continue to use my laptop (which was purchased at FUTURE SHOP in Belleville, ON).

I feel that I should NOT have to purchase a new product key, as I bought my laptop (and as such, my copy of Windows Vista) from a reputable source, and feel strongly that I should not have to spend money to fix an error that is clearly not my fault.

Thanking you in advance

Monday, November 5, 2007 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Cindy,

The Product Key on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop is for Windows only. Most computers come pre-installed with a trial version of Office, but some do come pre-installed with a Full version. Ultamitly, the person or company that made the computer, decide what software they included in the computer they sell.

I suggest looking thru the documentation, that came with your computer, for the Office Product Key. You may also try contacting the retailer and ask if your computer was supposed to be sold with a Full version of Office or a Trial version.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:58 PM

All replies

• You do know that the key on the bottom of your laptop is ONLY for the Windows Vista installation right? It does not work in any Office suites. If you want a somewhat equally as good office suite I use instead of Word or PowerPoint, try OpenOffice.org.
    Monday, November 5, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

The Product Key on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop is for Windows only. Most computers come pre-installed with a trial version of Office, but some do come pre-installed with a Full version. Ultamitly, the person or company that made the computer, decide what software they included in the computer they sell.

I suggest looking thru the documentation, that came with your computer, for the Office Product Key. You may also try contacting the retailer and ask if your computer was supposed to be sold with a Full version of Office or a Trial version.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:58 PM
  • WOW, I thought what had happened to me was an anomoly. I guess I was wrong. All I did was allow the latest update from Microsoft to be installed and suddely I don't have a valid key on my Windows Vista which came installed on my HP laptop no more than 6 months ago. I called tech support and got the foreign tech support which gave me a number to type in to the incorrect key pop-up, which I did. Afterward, the GUI told me I needed to restart for the changes to take effect. Now, I still have the same issue...AND a thing on the bottom right of my screen that says "This copy of Windows is not genuine"...which is incorrect. No other options?

Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:01 PM