Multiple AntiVirus Programs RRS feed

• Question

• Having formerly run Zone Alarm Security Suite, I uninstalled the product. I can find no residual files or settings for any of the Zone Alarm utilities. I have then installed OneCare Live which, for the most part, works just fine. However, occasionally, upon start up I am advised (red flag) that AntiVirus is not turned on. When I click the "Turn On" button nothing happens. When I consult the Vista Security Center, it tells me that both OneCare AntiVirus and Zone Alarm Security Suite are installed and that the Zone Alarm service is "On."

At other times, OneCare loads properly and gives me a "green flag" suggesting it is working just fine, updated, etc. However, when I consult the Vista Security Center it tells me that both the OneCare AntiVirus AND the Zone Alarm Security Suite are "On."

Why does Vista Security Center think Zone Alarm is running? How do I get the rogue Zone Alarm presence out? The files are all gone; there doesn't seem to be anything relating to Zone Alarm in the registry. There does not appear to be any Zone Alarm service running? What can I do to permit OneCare Live to regularly run properly without the foot faults that seem to be caused by the rogue Zone Alarm remnants?
    Monday, March 3, 2008 11:04 PM

Answers

• Here's the soslution to my problem, courtesy of OneCare email Help Department. Most of the suggestions (all involving attempted further removal of ZoneAlarm) did not help. The successful trick was to replace the the repository folder by following the following steps:

Steps: Rename the repository folder

========================

1. Click Start button, type "cmd" (without quotations) and right-click the icon and select “Run as administrator”.

2. Please run the following command in the opened “Administrator: Command Prompt” window.

net stop winmgmt

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

Please restart the computer and then check the issue.

That did the trick for me.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

• If you have already followed the steps in the Zone Alarm User Forum under the title “Re: how to do a complete uninstall of zone alarm product” then you might proceed to consider the following:

There are several Web posts claiming that this type of problem occurs when a security program uninstall fails to remove its entries from the Security Center index in the WMI repository, and that this database will be correctly rebuilt if it is deleted. This fix might therefore be useful in many of the cases where the vendor’s cleanup tool (or set of instructions) fails to resolve this issue. Please note that I have not tested this fix, and that I am therefore merely reporting it rather than recommending it, but if you do a search for “deleting the repository folder” (with quotes), you will find that there seems to be a general consensus that this works in many cases.

The most detailed Web post is here:

http://vista.blorge.com/2008/01/09/how-to-fix-vistas-security-center-from-reporting-missing-or-duplicate- programs/

I found several variations of this fix (for a related problem; the failure of the Security Center to recognize the presence of OneCare) in the OneCare forum here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

There is also a simpler fix for Windows XP SP2 users that involves running only this single line from the command prompt: “rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository” (without quotes). The details are here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx

IMPORTANT! If you choose to try any one of these fixes, please be sure to create a system restore point before doing so. This will automatically backup the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) repository.

GreginMich

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Here's the soslution to my problem, courtesy of OneCare email Help Department. Most of the suggestions (all involving attempted further removal of ZoneAlarm) did not help. The successful trick was to replace the the repository folder by following the following steps:

Steps: Rename the repository folder

========================

1. Click Start button, type "cmd" (without quotations) and right-click the icon and select “Run as administrator”.

2. Please run the following command in the opened “Administrator: Command Prompt” window.

net stop winmgmt

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

Please restart the computer and then check the issue.

That did the trick for me.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Yes, this method of deleting the repository is a good one, especially since it creates its own backup (repository.old) which you can restore simply by changing the name back to the original. This specific method is presented in both my second reference (as Steve’s “Method B”) and my third reference (under “Other Versions of Windows”) above, but in each case it appears near the end of the page, where it’s hard to spot. I believe that the third reference is the original source of this particular method.

Dunes Guy, I apologize for sending you on a wild-goose chase by asking you to trudge through the Zone Alarm cleanup and then by throwing all of this background material at you, rather than picking out a specific method. I was writing this post for the forum as a whole, and wanted to present a variety of methods so that each viewer who encounters this problem can choose something that he or she is comfortable with, and that will work with their OS. I’m glad to hear that Tech Support has already extended this fix to the case of multiple programs, because I couldn’t find any specific reference to that application in this forum. And I’m glad it worked, because that tends to confirm the idea that I stated at the outset. Thanks for your understanding.

GreginMich

Sunday, March 9, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Thank you so much for the tip.  A week ago I turned on my PC as usual and was unable to acces the internet.  After MANY(15 ) hours (or more) of speaking with AOL, Zone Alarm, and HP (which cost me 60 bucks) I have still not been able to get an internet connection.  I was told that it was due to Zone Alarms firewall.  I am going to try this first thing tomorrow when I get to work!  Many thanks!  Jeanne

Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:25 PM