none
WHS freezing/cannot connect RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS on an intel DG965WH board, Pentium D 2.8 CPU, 3gig ram, and 35gig WD raptor hdd, and 2 500gig sata Seagate drives.  Everything installed fine, I am able to connect through local computers and remote computers, and files are being transferred back and forth ok.  But the server seems to freeze periodically, sometimes after an hour, and sometimes after 15.  When trying to connect through a local wired computer, it will give me the not connected error message.  When I log into the server from the server, it will be on, but I cant access files from there either.  event viewer shows nothing odd.  I'm fairly tech savvy and I am at a loss. Any ideas?  thanks!
    Monday, January 14, 2008 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using the integrated video o/p, or a video board. Quite a few of the freezes can be down to nForce drivers.

Also, are all your drivers server 2003 versions?  As this board is a desktop board, you could be having problems with NIC drivers.

Colin

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:21 PM
  • I am using a pcie ati card, As far as I know, all drivers are 2003 version as well.  I'm thinking it may not like this motherboard, It keeps telling my hdd is failing when it's not, I bought 3 of the seagate 500 gig drives and 2 have come up as failing, but after a reboot, its usually fine.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:21 PM
  • I was having a freeze every day or so.  I have an ABit KN9 SLI motherboard and a single stick of DDR2 RAM.  I learned the hard way while building a /different/ computer that the RAM voltage isn't always set correctly in the BIOS, so I decided to check my WHS computer.

It turned out that the motherboard was set for 1.8v and the RAM was rated for 1.9-2.0v!  I cranked up the voltage a notch and it's been stable since then.  It's still too early to say that this was my only problem, but it's certainly something you could check.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I was having daily freezing issues on my ABit KN9 SLI motherboard.  I realized after a while that the DDR2 voltage setting in the BIOS was too low (1.8v instead of the RAM's rating of 1.9v-2.0v), so I cranked it up a couple days ago.

It's been stable since then, but it's too early to conclusively say that was my only problem.  It could be something you should check if your motherboard allows you to change that setting.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Any luck with your problem? Mine is doing this too. I can't connect using the remote connection and when I log onto the server direct the computer has frozen! Are there any log file I can check to see if the problem is listed? It happens, from what I can see, when the OS downloads updates but it has also happened when I stared to back up and transfer large ammounts of data.

The Computer/Server is a Arima HDAMA motherboard with dual CPU's Opteron 250's, 4 Gig of Ram, 3 x Sata HD, 2 NIC's. All drivers are Win2003 Server drivers. Sata, Nic, and Raid are all onboard no additional cards have been added.

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I just went through months of issues while testing vPRO/AMT remote features with an Intel DQ45CB board and Q8200 cpu running Win7 that kept freezing and locking and it even completely lost the onboard NIC card and would have "video driver failed errors" all the time with the onboard video and both ATI and Nvidia PCIe cards installed and to top it all off, there was nothing I could do to get the system to install the TCM to test what I set out to do in the first place... and even as an Intel reseller the best their support guys could give me was "try loading XP and that should work"... (Maybe they know I'm really an AMD guy and my picture is posted in the call center, who knows...)

After testing everything and anything I could with every diagnostic tool available to the human race, each component by itself and mixed together, down to using all the components without any issue at all with an AMD cpu and MSI motherboard, I finally did what no one ever does in this business... I started over and read the directions... Even the Intel support people I talked to that requested model numbers and serial numbers of every component in the machine down to the power supply must not even read them because they never said word... 

Not that I'm saying you didn't read the directions, but that chipset, like many Intel chipsets are more tempermental than they were back in the PII days... They only take certain memory modules in certain configurations and when I looked, my setup wasn't on the approved list the way I had it setup... When I did it their way worked the next reboot, the onboard NIC was back, the TCM was installed and not a single freeze or video driver failure since... Now if they could only fix the chatter of that IT Director software that comes with that platform...

As per the directions:

The board has four DIMM sockets and support the following memory features:

• 1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
    • Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported. 
    • 8 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 533 DIMMs
    • 4 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 800 DIMMs
    • Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
    • Non-ECC DIMMs
    • Serial Presence Detect
    • DDR2 800, DDR2 667, or DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
    • DDR2 800 DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

Note
    A minimum of 512 MB of system memory is required to fully enable both the onboard graphics and the manageability engine.

Note
    To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency.

Supported DIMM Configurations
    The following table lists the supported DIMM configurations.

DIMM Type SDRAM Technology Smallest usable DIMM (one x16 Single-sided DIMM) Largest usable DIMM (one x8 Double-sided DIMM) Maximum capacity with four identical x8 Double-sided DIMMs
    DDR2 533 256 Mbit 128 MB 512 MB 2 GB
    DDR2 533 512 Mbit 256 MB 1 GB 4 GB
    DDR2 533 1 Gbit 512 MB 2 GB 8 GB
    DDR2 667 256 Mbit 128 MB 512 MB 2 GB
    DDR2 667 512 Mbit 256 MB 1 GB 4 GB
    DDR2 667 1 Gbit 512 MB 2 GB 8 GB

Note Regardless of the DIMM type used, the memory frequency will either be equal to or less than the processor system bus frequency. For example, if DDR2 667 memory is used with a 533 MHz system bus frequency processor, the memory will operate at 533 MHz. The table below lists the resulting operating memory frequencies based on the combination of DIMMs and processors.

DIMM Type Processor system bus frequency Resulting memory frequency
    DDR2 533 533 MHz 533 MHz
    DDR2 533 800 MHz 533 MHz
    DDR2 533 1066 MHz 533 MHz
    DDR2 667 533 MHz 533 MHz
    DDR2 667 800 MHz 667 MHz
    DDR2 667 1066 MHz 667 MHz
    DDR2 800 533 MHz 533 MHz
    DDR2 800 800 MHz 800 MHz
    DDR2 800 1066 MHz 800 MHz

Thanks Lloyd J. Ettinger - Shire Computer, Inc - Jedi Recruit Depot Earth - 3rd Recruit Training Battalion - I Company
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:48 AM