PHP script and DB server RRS feed

• Question

• I am aware of this as not supported subject, but want to know if any drawback or problems will rise with those.

Steve

Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I run php as well mysql on whs, all running fine here.

Thnings to consider tho, do manual install for php in the root folder of drive C.

Regarding the database server, better to install in on another partition, I for one, put it on drive out side the control of whs.

If you need help configer the php on your whs I could help as well.

My best.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:25 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I do not see the need to install that XAMPP, becouse it will install as wel lthe apache server, and conflect issue with IIS.

Manaul install for php or it will not work good.

1 - Extract the zip download of php, use the zip one, not the installer ver.
    2 - Make folder in root drive as "C:\PHP" and put all extract files in it.
    3 - Add C:\PHP to your path:

Start menu, right click My Computer - properties - advanced tab - environment variables - path - then edit:
    add a semicolon and then C:\PHP.

That just start issue tho, we need to edit the php.ini and put it as well in windows folder, as well, edit the IIS server as well.

Let me know if you need step by step issue.

My best.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Ok, after we add the path in the above step, here the next thing to do:

Notice: I am using php5 in this steps, if you using php4, just change the dell file name eg. (php5isapi.dll to php4isapi.dll)

4. Configure IIS, open the IIS manager.

a) Web Service Extension. Click down to the Web Service Extension folder. Right click the folder and select Add New Web Service Extension. Set Extension Name to .PHP and add C:\PHP\PHP5ISAPI.DLL to Required Files . Check Set Extension Status To Allowed.

b) Web Sites. Click down to Web Sites. Right click the folder and select Properties. From the Home Directory tab click the Configuration button. Click Add to add an Application Extension.
       Enter C:\PHP\PHP5ISAPI.DLL as Executable and PHP as Extension. Leave the rest as default and click Ok.

5. Copy the C:\PHP\php.ini to C:\Windows

6. Copy all files from C:\PHP\phpdlls to C:\windows\system32

7. Copy C:\PHP\phpsapi to C:\windows\system32

8. Restart IIS

Let test your PHP installation simply create text a file with the php extension,
    like test.php add the following three lines of text to it and then save it to your web site directory,
    eg. C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT. Then use your browser to read the file, like http://localhost/test.php

test.php
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

That about it, I hope I type everything correct (too late here, could not manage to go to sleep til lI post this).

My best.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I run php as well mysql on whs, all running fine here.

Thnings to consider tho, do manual install for php in the root folder of drive C.

Regarding the database server, better to install in on another partition, I for one, put it on drive out side the control of whs.

If you need help configer the php on your whs I could help as well.

My best.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:25 PM
  • Abobader,

Thank you... will install xampp tonight and hope for smooth one.

Steve

Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I do not see the need to install that XAMPP, becouse it will install as wel lthe apache server, and conflect issue with IIS.

Manaul install for php or it will not work good.

1 - Extract the zip download of php, use the zip one, not the installer ver.
    2 - Make folder in root drive as "C:\PHP" and put all extract files in it.
    3 - Add C:\PHP to your path:

Start menu, right click My Computer - properties - advanced tab - environment variables - path - then edit:
    add a semicolon and then C:\PHP.

That just start issue tho, we need to edit the php.ini and put it as well in windows folder, as well, edit the IIS server as well.

Let me know if you need step by step issue.

My best.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Abobader, if not too much trouble a working instructions will be appreciated.

Steve

Saturday, August 18, 2007 10:34 PM
  • Hi Steve,

No problems at all, too late here at the moment, I will post full steps later today.

My best.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 1:41 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Ok, after we add the path in the above step, here the next thing to do:

Notice: I am using php5 in this steps, if you using php4, just change the dell file name eg. (php5isapi.dll to php4isapi.dll)

4. Configure IIS, open the IIS manager.

a) Web Service Extension. Click down to the Web Service Extension folder. Right click the folder and select Add New Web Service Extension. Set Extension Name to .PHP and add C:\PHP\PHP5ISAPI.DLL to Required Files . Check Set Extension Status To Allowed.

b) Web Sites. Click down to Web Sites. Right click the folder and select Properties. From the Home Directory tab click the Configuration button. Click Add to add an Application Extension.
       Enter C:\PHP\PHP5ISAPI.DLL as Executable and PHP as Extension. Leave the rest as default and click Ok.

5. Copy the C:\PHP\php.ini to C:\Windows

6. Copy all files from C:\PHP\phpdlls to C:\windows\system32

7. Copy C:\PHP\phpsapi to C:\windows\system32

8. Restart IIS

Let test your PHP installation simply create text a file with the php extension,
    like test.php add the following three lines of text to it and then save it to your web site directory,
    eg. C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT. Then use your browser to read the file, like http://localhost/test.php

test.php
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

That about it, I hope I type everything correct (too late here, could not manage to go to sleep til lI post this).

My best.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:53 AM
  • Hello everybody

I have a problem to install PHP on my Windows Home Server
    When test test.php page to my browser, I have "The page cannot be found"

I don't understand why ???

So can you gie me a complete How To to install PHP on my server.

(I am french so excuse me for my broken english)

Thanks everybody
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 11:09 AM
  • Hi All,

I've also been running into some issus getting php fully functional on my WHS. My main issue is connecting to a MySQL database.

I've followed the instuctions listed above (and ones from many other sites in my various attemps) and I can successfully display the php info. My issue arises when I attempt to connect to a MySQL DB after the installation.

Here's my setup:

WHS Default install w/ updates

PHP 5.2.5

MySQL 5.1.22

I've successfully installed MySQL to the D drive and i've done a manual install of PHP to C:\PHP

Every attemps I make to connect to a MySQL DB, i get the following error:

PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 01B8AB4A

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to circumvent this issue?  Am I running into a security violation as a result of the WHS components that have been installed?

I've previously setup many PHP instances on various 2K3 server but this issue has really stumped. Ay suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:20 AM
  • I had the same error and i traced it to enabling an extention is the php.ini file that i didn't have the dll for, OR not the right one. Try starting over with configuring your php.ini file with the supplied php.ini-reccommended one and only enabling the extentions you need.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 2:12 AM
  • I was curious if anyone could help with a mysql install.   I couldn't get the installer to open in whs since it said I didn't have the permission to run the msi.   So i downloaded everything and unzipped it to c:/mysql.    I'm kinda stuck there on the next step.  Any help?  thanks..... Smile

Joe

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 10:04 PM
  • I want to PHP/Mysql but have some instruction video's presented by Kevin Yenk.
    Didnt work in WHS.

I'm stuck too, please help.
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:54 PM