WHS backup locks up Win7-64 RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS with power pack 3 (version 6.0.2423.0).  My laptop runs the 64-bit version of Windows 7.  When backing up over wireless, things are fine.  Every time I try to perform a backup over the LAN, the computer locks up (no mouse response, CTR-ALT-DEL do nothing) and must be shut down (hard down).  WHS backup is always at 17% when the computer freezes.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• I used to use my laptop wirelessly all the time, but then I started playing Runes of Magic (MMORPG).  When I would neglect/forget to switch back to wireless after playing, I was finding my computer locked up the next morning.

Interesting.  I was able to transfer a 4.3 GB file from WHS, but the computer locked up as soon as I tried to copy to WHS.  I changed the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller driver from 2.4.7.173 to 2.4.7.29, and the problem's fixed now.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• Without more info, my first guess would be the network driver for your nic on the wired side. If it works wirelessly, why use the wired connection? Not a cure, just a question. I have 3 Win7-64 computers, 2 wired, 1 wireless and all 3 do backups nightly without problems.

Try a large file transfer to your server on the wired network and see if it fails. That should give you a hint as to what might be happening.

Cruise

Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I used to use my laptop wirelessly all the time, but then I started playing Runes of Magic (MMORPG).  When I would neglect/forget to switch back to wireless after playing, I was finding my computer locked up the next morning.

Interesting.  I was able to transfer a 4.3 GB file from WHS, but the computer locked up as soon as I tried to copy to WHS.  I changed the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller driver from 2.4.7.173 to 2.4.7.29, and the problem's fixed now.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Wind7 64- bit is not compatible with WHS you must go back to 32bit
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I back up my Win7 64-bit machines all the time with WHS, no problems
    that I've seen...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 8:25 PM
  • On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:19:16 +0000, emilberger wrote:

> Wind7 64- bit is not compatible with WHS you must go back to 32bit

That's not correct. WHS backs up my 64-bit Windows 7 every night.

--
    Ken Blake

Ken Blake
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Where exactly are you getting this information from? Good troll.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:09 PM