none
sync framework 2.1 - synchronizing SQL Server 2005 express db up to SQL Server 2005 standard via wcf RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I would like to use sync framework 2.1 for synchronizing SQL Server 2005 express database up to SQL Server 2005 standard or enterprise database via wcf. The reason for wcf is that these databases will be installed in different places and users will communicate via public internet and not using the vpn connection.

Is this scenario possible with this verson or it will be quicker to do it manually using lists of classes for sending the data via wcf? Is there any sample I could examin for learning purpose?

Thanks in advance

Dzordz
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:59 PM

All replies

• you may check out this sample using WCF: https://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=3762

you may also lookup in the docs "n-tier synchronization"

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

I have reviewed the sample and also other docs on msdn and I found that for synchronizing sql server db and sql server express db there is only peer-to-peer (collaborative) scenario. In server-client scenario there is only sql server - sql server ce sample.

What I'm looking for is to have the possibiity to track changes in sql server express database and upload them to sql server database. Is this possible with ms sync fx?

I have also found that if I change PK for the order and order_detail tables to identity - in the above sample the synchronization is not working anymore. Does the sync fx not deal with identity columns?

Thanks in advance

Dzordz
    Friday, March 18, 2011 3:09 PM
  • the peer-to-peer provider can also work in a hub-spoke topology similar to the server-client you have in mind. the only difference between the two types of providers is that the peer-to-peer provider can sync with any peer. whereas the offline providers clients cant sync with one another.

you should be able to provision your sqlexpress for an upload only syncdirection to your sql server database.

as to the the schema change, Sync Fx doesnt automatically handle schema changes. if you have used the sqlsyncprovider, you will have to deprovision and reprovision the scope. not unless you're fine with modifying the sync fx database objects directly.

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:18 PM