WHS Share duplication not deleting duplicated files when turned off RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server is not deleting files from the DE folder when share duplication is turned off.  The shares originally had duplication turned on and when I turned them off, the pie graph on the Server Storage tab just took the orange duplication section and merged it with the grey system section.  The system has all current updates and no add-ons installed. 

While this is annoying, it is not the worst bug that I have found on WHS and I can live with it.  I was simply wondering if there is a fix for this, or if not, can I simply delete the contents of the DE folder (just the shares that I want)?  I am a bit worried about directly deleting files from the D: drive but if it's safe, I'd like to know. 

Thanks,
    -Kyle Marlin

Keywords: duplicator, DE, duplicate, duplication, delete
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:41 AM

Answers

• My Windows Home Server is not deleting files from the DE folder when share duplication is turned off.  The shares originally had duplication turned on and when I turned them off, the pie graph on the Server Storage tab just took the orange duplication section and merged it with the grey system section.  The system has all current updates and no add-ons installed. 

While this is annoying, it is not the worst bug that I have found on WHS and I can live with it.  I was simply wondering if there is a fix for this, or if not, can I simply delete the contents of the DE folder (just the shares that I want)?  I am a bit worried about directly deleting files from the D: drive but if it's safe, I'd like to know. 

Thanks,
    -Kyle Marlin

Did you check immediately after disabling Folder Duplication?  If so, did you go back and check again after some time passed (maybe an hour or so)?  Just to confirm, what are the component numbers in the Console?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:25 AM
  • As it turns out, I may never know what the issue was.  This was several days after disabling all folder duplication, but other issues (i'm assuming) with windows home server had caused it to not boot this morning.  I took care of it all with a new installation.  I'm using a different installation DVD and a different default hard drive, assuming one of them had led to the problem in the OP and the issues that occurred today.  Hopefully that was it, but if it wasn't, I'll update this in a few days.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    -Kyle
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:02 AM

All replies

Thanks,
    -Kyle Marlin

Did you check immediately after disabling Folder Duplication?  If so, did you go back and check again after some time passed (maybe an hour or so)?  Just to confirm, what are the component numbers in the Console?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:25 AM
  • As it turns out, I may never know what the issue was.  This was several days after disabling all folder duplication, but other issues (i'm assuming) with windows home server had caused it to not boot this morning.  I took care of it all with a new installation.  I'm using a different installation DVD and a different default hard drive, assuming one of them had led to the problem in the OP and the issues that occurred today.  Hopefully that was it, but if it wasn't, I'll update this in a few days.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    -Kyle
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:02 AM