Problem with Delay in whitepapers scrutinization and uploading a big bunch of whitepapers at once RRS feed

• General discussion

• Sir,

I am very disappointed in the delay of scrutinizing the whitepapers and displaying a huge bunch of papers at once onto website. As you stated in the rules the whitepapers will be first scrutinized by the admin team and then only they will be displayed in website. Its perfectly fine. BUT the problem is that you are taking alteast 2 days for scrutinizing the papers and you are releasing all the whitepapers submitted in these two days at once, leading to releasing 5 pages of whitepapers at once.

Because of this the whitepapers on the first page are getting high number of people ratings than the pages behind. For example you have approved and displayed a huge set of 5 pages of whitepaers on Sep 11. And if I submit a paper on Sep 12 morning. My paper will be displayed in website only after 2 days i.e. on 14th sep, along with the other whitepapers uploaded on website during these two days. BUT the whitepaper which was uploaded on 13th sep night will be displayed in the first page and my paper will be displayed in fourth or fifth page. So many people will be reading the first page papers making them get higher number of people ratings and very less people go to page 4 or 5 and thus these will be getting less number of ratings. YOU CAN DEFINITELY SEE THIS PATTERN EVERY TIME.

This is certainly a serious problem and it would be making injustice to many people whose papers are displayed on 4th or 5th page. So the only solution is to scrutinize the papers as early as possible and display them on website instantly instead of piling all of them and displaying at once.

Kindly take care of this issue. I am sorry if am too harsh at any point of time.

Regards,
    Harish
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:35 PM

All replies

• Ya....... you are write........if we rate an article...the page automatically refreshes to first page.....
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:34 AM
  • @Harish,

I completely agree with you. The admins should find a workarounf for this. Also after rating a paper, the first 10 whitepapers are shown again. This redirect is a bug, as it is creating a lot of problems in scrolling through the whitepapers and rating them.

I hope the admins solve this problem asap.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 7:36 AM
  • The easy solution out would be to add an algorithm to display whitepapers after sorting them out and to display the one that a person dowloaded at last and rest in front this way for each person the whitepapers would get rotated evenly.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:13 AM
  • >Harish

Ya its correct !... admins should rectify it............

Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Good observation harish. But i think the admins are also busy with other stuffs, and they are not getting much time . But i do agree with you that they can upload whitepapers of one day on a single day.....

But then also there will be probs, what if there are total of about 50 whitepapers sent in just one day ? there will be multiple problems, the only thing that admin can do is display the whitepapers DATE WISE, isntead of a fixed number of whitepapers per page. Or they can just increasing the number of whitepapers that are being displayed in a single page.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Ya true. This is making the playing field uneven. The contest should not depend on luck. It should be purely talent.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:18 PM
  • I think the only solution could be to update the whitepapers atleast 4-5 times a day. Ideally speaking alteast 5 hrs gap between each update. So may be around 10-12 whitepapers are updated within this 5 hrs. So by doing this every updated whitepaper will have alteast chance to stay in frist or second page for atleast some time. This one should be fair enough. But to make it posible microsoft ppl have to increase their staff who are scrutinizing the papers.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Hey man, i dont think that uploading around 10-12 whitepapers every 5 hours will be enough for us.  Because how many of us will be watching the site all the time every 4-5 hours ? but yes there is more probability that we will watch the whitepapers more than that as of the present situation.  Also even if we miss the first 5 hour slot, then at the next slot when someone tries to see the whitepapers, it will be in the 2-3 page.  Also there will be many ppl (dial up users) who might be viewing the sites and forums only 1-2 times in  a day.

I think its up to us to rate the whitepapers.  Even though its int he 100'th page, if we rate that whitepaper, and atleast other 4 ppl rate it and our rating matches the average rating, then we will also get points for rating of the whitepapers, so if you want pints then we have to scroll deep down the pages Smile and not only some of the ppl, everyone shoudl consider rating the whitepapers, so that there are more chances to get more points by everyone at the end of the month for the whitepaper ratings.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 7:31 PM
  • hi PATEl, I totally agree with you. But what you said is that how the people should think. if all contestants are all wise then they would have exactly done what you said i.e., even going to 100th page to rate the articles so that their ponts will increase. BUT thats not what is happening. Only some of the contestants are taking pain to go thorough deeper and deeper pages to rate. Many of the contestants just go through first or second pages and just rate the articles in that page. They are not willing to take pain of reading the articles in deeper pages.

So the point of discussion is not what the contestants should do, becuase you cant control it. The current point of discussion is that as all users are not taking pain to go through inner pages ultimately it is leading to injustice to the people whose whitepapers are appearing in inner pages.

You can check yourself to get proof of my statement. Just see the number of ratings from the first page.. You will see a gradual decrease in the number of rating upto 5th page and then suddenly it increases in 6th page and then again decreases.. the sudden increase is becuase those whitepapers were once on the first page when they were released.

The solution which I suggested in my previous post is certainly not a good one. I just gave my suggestion. I think its the contest managers who have to think about this issue and come up with an solution as soon as possible.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 7:28 PM
  • ya it is not gud but the admins hae no other choice...the white papers have to be scrutinized
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:58 PM

• hope admin will fix it soon.......
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:01 AM
  • the only way will end up increasing load on admins...cheacking papers every 4-5 hours...
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:30 AM
  • @Harish - I too agree with you. But the admins needs to find out a practical slution, one of the best way is to display a LOt of messages on a single page itself, but that will increase the site traffic. A balance should be found out.

I dont think there is any other better way than doing this thing other then the options that we have distussed so far. Lets see what happens, we have to accept whatever is there Wink The same was applicable to the last contest too.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:54 PM
  • hey mine whitepapers wnded up on the 4th page....hopefully people will go tht back...its really not fair
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:35 AM
  • please people ....go through and rate all the whitepapers not just on the first page........and rate them only after going through them..
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:48 AM
  • seems now there is no scrutinizing of whitepapers......thy get shown as soon as uploaded...

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:13 AM