WHS Disk Defrag Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• The following post was marked answered, but it didn’t seem completely resolved:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/03e8f9a2-fff3-44a2-b47a-3a3a0aec1cac/?prof=required&wa=wsignin1.0

Another one: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/5976c91d-175a-4794-a72f-22e4b553b11b/

So, what’s the word current…is my Perfect disk messing up disk, and slowing down my system? Or is it avast?

Anyhow, I recently started to defrag this week…did a backup, and now when I try to log in to the WHS console, I get a nice blue screen. I restarted the server, and now I can get back in (takes forever), but the tabs on the left side of the console are virtually unresponsive.

Thoughts?
    • Edited by MtnLover Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I only can give you my personal opinion: Defragmentation on a server is more a placebo than helpfull. On Windows Home Server it does deeply interact with components, which it may not fully understand, or which change after an update causing all kind of bad issues.
    And the most relevant bottleneck is in 99% not the disk system, but the network.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I only can give you my personal opinion: Defragmentation on a server is more a placebo than helpfull. On Windows Home Server it does deeply interact with components, which it may not fully understand, or which change after an update causing all kind of bad issues.
    And the most relevant bottleneck is in 99% not the disk system, but the network.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Thanks for this, Olaf. Sounds like from what I can tell...the best idea is just to let WHS manage things. With disk balancing, and everything else, disk defragmenting is really is more complicated (I think), than 'just' relocating files, as the disk manager do. Guess time will tell.

OK...you mention the hangup is likely in the network. It was running super responsive...things you suggest I look into?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Jason
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:01 PM