A discovery I made looking for a case... RRS feed

• General discussion

• While I was looking for a new case to give my server for my birthday I stumbled on a little piece of hardware that satisfied the need a little less expensively.  It lets you put 3-3.5 drives in 2-5.25 slots, has a fan an air filter.  I presume everyone else already knew about them, but it was a meaningful discovery for me.  There are a couple of manufacturers that provide similar devices.  The one I bought was a Lian Li EX-23.  Hope this information is not old news to everyone.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:54 AM

All replies

• Yes they're pretty good. I'm using an EX-33 (3 bays into 3 drives). Each drive slides into the rack and is rubber mounted with a large fan to cool theme all via the front grill on the unit. They come in various flavours - EX-23 (2 bays into 3 drives), EX-33 (3 bays into 3 drives), and EX-34 (3 bays into 4 drives).

Sunday, November 18, 2007 9:43 AM
  • I prefer the units that allow you to change the drives without having to open the case. On paper I like the Kingwin KF-4000-BF because there aren't any trays or screws to lose but I haven't actually used this model yet.

Monday, November 19, 2007 12:39 AM
  • This does not have an answer.  It was just an effort on my part to point out an interesting piece of hardware I stumbled upon.

Thanks Ken

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:33 AM