Family discount for Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to take advantage of the Family Discount to upgrade my 3 computers at home to Vista (buy 1 Ultimate upgrade and get 2 Home Premium upgrades at a substantial discount)

Is there a similar Family Discount program for Office 2007?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:41 PM

Answers

• Bobwarz,

Sort of.......Office Home and Student 2007 (about $149 USD or so at retail) is allowed to be installed on up to three computers in the same household as long as it is not being used in a commercial setting.

Here's an excerpt from the USA EULA for retail copies:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a

license, you must assign that license to a device. That device is a

“licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a

separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on three

licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there.

The software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or

revenue-generating business activities.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I think I need (want) Office Pro for my desktop computer, and Office Standard for my laptop and my wife's desktop.  I want 1 copy of Access, and we use Outlook for our email.  So it looks like I have to buy 3 individual upgrades.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Bobwarz,

Thank you for posting your question and glad we could provide assistance. Always read the EULA for guidance on licensing. Have a great week.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Bobwarz,

If you plan on installing Office 2007 on your own desktop and own laptop, by purchasing a full retail license for Office 2007 Professional, you can install that same license on both your desktop and laptop, which in effect cuts the price in half.  Note that only full retail licenses allow the "double installation."

Then all you have to do is purchase the Office 2007 edition that is the best fit for your wife's needs.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:38 AM

All replies

• Bobwarz,

Sort of.......Office Home and Student 2007 (about $149 USD or so at retail) is allowed to be installed on up to three computers in the same household as long as it is not being used in a commercial setting.

Here's an excerpt from the USA EULA for retail copies:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a

license, you must assign that license to a device. That device is a

“licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a

separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on three

licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there.

The software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or

revenue-generating business activities.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I think I need (want) Office Pro for my desktop computer, and Office Standard for my laptop and my wife's desktop.  I want 1 copy of Access, and we use Outlook for our email.  So it looks like I have to buy 3 individual upgrades.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Bobwarz,

Thank you for posting your question and glad we could provide assistance. Always read the EULA for guidance on licensing. Have a great week.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Bobwarz,

If you plan on installing Office 2007 on your own desktop and own laptop, by purchasing a full retail license for Office 2007 Professional, you can install that same license on both your desktop and laptop, which in effect cuts the price in half.  Note that only full retail licenses allow the "double installation."

Then all you have to do is purchase the Office 2007 edition that is the best fit for your wife's needs.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:38 AM