none
Where to ask question about timeout expired error in Visual Basic web app using .Net SQL provider

Question

• I'm trying my hand at my first web app. At the moment, the page is very basic, with only a List control and a Data Source containing an SQL SELECT query and referencing a Connection String for the SQL server to connect to and database to use. I've set a timeout value of 300 (5 minutes) in the Connection String.

When I test the query in Visual Studio from the Configure Data Source dialogue, it runs for 30 seconds then throws up an error window with "There was an error executing the query. Please check the syntax of the command and if present, the types and values of the parameters and ensure they are correct. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding".

If I run the same query (it has no parameters) in SQL Management Studio, it runs fine, taking about 40 seconds.

Is this best posed in an SQL forum, a Visual Basic forum, a .Net forum, or other.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:33 PM

Answers