none
I dislike receiving notices for people marking their own answer as a proposed answer

Question

• While some responces to posts are potential answer other's aren't. So it makes sense to have the ability for an individual user to mark their own post as a proposed answer or not mark their post as a possible answer. So I don't want to block that. I do, however, find it really annoying when I get an email when someone has marked their own post as an answer. This generally happens right after someone has made the  post. So receiving two alert emails doesn't do any good and leaves me with the impression that something important happened to the thread when only a little bit happened.

Now that I think about it, the only time I'd care about something like that would be if the person who started the thread actually marked one of the posts as an answer. That way I check to see which ones they picked. All of the proposed answers don't require me to investigate and contribute further to the thread.

Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies

• I actually like it coming as an e-mail as I can then go from the e-mail direct to the thread and remove the self-proposal and edit in a Moderator Note telling him/her not to do it.

I agree though that it's a nuisance to be told by e-mail when Microsoft Moderators mark a post as an answer because most of the time these days if you go to check they seem to be marking any old reply to old threads (including some of mine asking if the OP is using version a or version b) in order to "close" them (or marking every reply in order to avoid the need to spend time to find the best reply). As they are Microsoft however it's not so easy to then simply unmark them.

It's a strange world.

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:50 PM
  • that is some kind of promotion. (since deleted)
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:59 PM