media centre crashed during TV archive, hard drive now corrupt. what to do? RRS feed

• Question

• i was arcgiving a recorded TV prog from a win7 pc to the home server
    i had noticed that if anything "upsets" media centre during this process the server may hang and the acrhive is corrupt
    knowing this i leave media centre alone when archiving
    forgetting i was achiving i started watching a DVD streaming from the server
    this, for what ever reason caused media centre to hang
    archive failed
    server was ok, or so it seemed
    moments later the console had a critical fault, a hard drive failure
    the same hard drive to which the TV was being acrhived
    re-started the server
    had a fault with my login profile, WHS created a temp profile and started
    hard drive still at fault
    removed hard drive and connected to desk top
    the hard drive show the correct usage, but none of the files are visible
    it is almost as if the file structure has been corrupted
    am currently running chkdsk on the drive ... chkdsk is going to take ALONG time to complete
    ---
    two questions:
    (1) has anyone else had issues with win7 and media centre when archiving TV?
    (2) is there anything that can be done to restore the file structure of the affected drive?

cheers all
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:04 PM

All replies

• two questions:
    (1) has anyone else had issues with win7 and media centre when archiving TV?
    (2) is there anything that can be done to restore the file structure of the affected drive?
    Hi,

(2) Just see what chkdsk can repair (I would advise you to run chkdsk /r to see if the drive has problems).
    Asuming this is not the WHS system disk but one of the disks in the WHS storage pool, you will not loose data in the shares that had duplication enabled. For non-duplicated files you will loose all files chkdsk can not recover, unless you have an external backup or apply some data-recovery technique.

(1) I have no such problems on my systems and this is certainly not 'normal' behavior.
    From what you discribe my guess would be that there is a problem in your Home Server hardware configuration/cabling/drivers that results on server 'hangs' when operating under stress conditions.

The archiving itself is done by the MC PC. It then copy the data to your Home server. How does your server behave when manyally copying large amounts of data to or of the shares while streaming a DVD?

Is your Windows Home Sever OEM (HP, Acer, etc) or home-build?
    - Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:06 PM
  • (2) chkdsk is still running.  it's taking a while

my server is a home build
    * intel atom mobo
    * adaptec 1420SA sata controller
    * 8 hard drives
    - two on the intel mobo
    - four on the 1420SA
    - two usb

it was a USB hard drive that "failed", but i merely believe this was only because the data was being written to that drive

(1) the server could be considered somewhat "underpowered" being only an atom, but most of the time neither the cpu or disk subsystem is taking a battering.  (i have monitor on my server)  i don't there is a load issue with my server

there are no problems copying large volumes of data to the server.  over my 1gig network i typically get ~ 30-40meg for large files.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Hi,

(1) I would advise you not to use USB-disk as part of the storage pool. Several users have reported problems.

(2) Running 6 disks in the pool?
    Please check if your power supply has sufficient power to run your hardware?
    (An under-powered power supply can result in unstable server behaviour. The same goes for a faulty power especially when under stress)

From here I can not tell what the problem might be. But as I remarked earlier: the archiving process is done in the Media PC and is only copying data to the server. So I am quite convinced that your problem is to be found at the server.

Some things your can try to solve this:
    * Make sure you have external backups of al your important data.
    * Remove the USB disk.
    * Check your drivers (only use drivers that are supported for use with Windows 2003 server)
    * Check your power supply.
    * Run a memeory test.
    * Run chkdsk /r on all your drives.
    * Try reproducing the server 'hangs' while copying data to the shares while streaming.
    * Check for any realted errors in the server eventlist.

- Theo.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:39 PM
  • cheers

i will give my server a health check-up  :)

Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:42 PM
  • OK,
    Good luck!
    And please report back any results? :-)
    - Theo.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:44 PM