none
WHS cannot back up client PC: false complaint about lack of space RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't been able to back up a 650GB PC to my WHS. I have 4 2TB hard drives in the WHS so it's crazy for the WHS to complain about not enough space to back up. What can possibly be the reason? Thanks.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 11:25 PM

Answers

• Which WHS version are you talking about?

If the older WHS, did you at any time copy files directly to D:\shares instead of using the UNC path?

In this case the files may still sit on drive D: instead of the tombstones, which should be there - and a full drive D: is all it takes to block adding more files.

You would have to delete these files or anything else, which takes unexpected place on D: (like files from unsupported 3rd party apps).

If you are not sure, which files are safe to delete dont hesitate to ask first.

In case of WHS 2011 - since Drive Extender is gone, I am afraid, that the backup size is limited to the one disk, which holds the shared folder for the backups.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by h8226gw Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:54 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:14 PM
  • h8226gw

If I understand you last 2 questions correctly, you can see where the shared folder is in the Dashboard Hard Disk tab and to move the location to another drive, run the "Move folder location" wizard.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

If the older WHS, did you at any time copy files directly to D:\shares instead of using the UNC path?

In this case the files may still sit on drive D: instead of the tombstones, which should be there - and a full drive D: is all it takes to block adding more files.

You would have to delete these files or anything else, which takes unexpected place on D: (like files from unsupported 3rd party apps).

In case of WHS 2011 - since Drive Extender is gone, I am afraid, that the backup size is limited to the one disk, which holds the shared folder for the backups.

Olaf

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:14 PM

Olaf

Thanks for your reply, Olaf.

I am using the latest WHS 2011 release. Even if what you wrote is true, it's hard to figure out how WHS cannot back up a 650GB drive to a 2TB drive (all of my drives in the WHS are 2TB each). And I don't have anything else backed up. My questions are:

1. How to determine which one has the shared folder for the backup?

2. How to safely move this folder to another drive to get more space?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:28 PM
  • h8226gw

If I understand you last 2 questions correctly, you can see where the shared folder is in the Dashboard Hard Disk tab and to move the location to another drive, run the "Move folder location" wizard.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:55 PM
  • h8226gw

Thanks, Philip. I just had a chance to work on the WHS today and did what you suggested: everything works now. The backup folder somehow was put on a drive together with another shared folder and I moved it to a less crowded drive.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:53 AM