New Build of Vail ready for download RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Vail testers,

There is a new build of Vail ready for download on our connect site.  This new build has lots of enhancements and improvements over the original build and can be downloaded from the downloads section of our connect site.  If you are new to the beta, please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver to sign up for the download.  You can provide feedback about the new build through our Connect site and even log ideas or feature suggestions for future versions of Windows Home Server. 

The Windows Server code name “Vail” Preview SDK is also available for download.  The SDK provides the following content:

·         API references that help you understand all the API elements that can be used to extend and manage Windows Server Code Name “Vail”

·         How-to documents that help you to understand how to build add-ins

·         Templates that help you build add-ins with Visual Studio 2008

·         Samples that provide examples of complete add-ins

We also have some other resources available to learn more about Windows Home Server and our upcoming product:

·         Online Help Site

·         Online Release Notes

Thanks for the continued support.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:11 PM

All replies

• You'll find more details in the Release Notes, but there are some significant items to be aware of:

1. You'll have to flatten your server. This build of Drive Extender is incompatible with previous builds. We warned you this might happen. :) P.S.: I expect it at least once more, at RTM.
    2. Memory requirements have doubled, from 1 GB minimum to 2 GB minimum, due to resource starvation issues found with Server Backup in low memory conditions.
    3. There is a known issue with Storage Check and Repair which can result in significant data loss. Don't use Storage Check and Repair unless you don't mind reloading your server.
    4. There is a known issue with removing a missing drive which can result in significant data loss. Don't remove a missing drive unless you're willing to reload your server.

There are also a lot of improvements over the last build.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for this very important additional information Ken!

Much appreciated!

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message news:3028bd5e-2218-40fb-8256-890d15dcac6c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

You'll find more details in the Release Notes, but there are some significant items to be aware of:

1. You'll have to flatten your server. This build of Drive Extender is incompatible with previous builds. We warned you this might happen. :) P.S.: I expect it at least once more, at RTM.
    2. Memory requirements have doubled, from 1 GB minimum to 2 GB minimum, due to resource starvation issues found with Server Backup in low memory conditions.
    3. There is a known issue with Storage Check and Repair which can result in significant data loss. Don't use Storage Check and Repair unless you don't mind reloading your server.
    4. There is a known issue with removing a missing drive which can result in significant data loss. Don't remove a missing drive unless you're willing to reload your server.

Have a nice day!
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Also note that the Log Collector has changed.

There is now a new "Windows Server Solutions Log Collector Preview" to be used for this build and the old one needs to be uninstalled.

--
    Don
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:42 PM
  • You'll find more details in the Release Notes, but there are some significant items to be aware of:

What improvements have been made?  The only thing that I see that will significantly impact me is that now I only have the minimum requirement of RAM.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:44 PM
  • "Gammit10" wrote in message news:5b63cdfa-8d72-491e-b729-a27c3380b9f4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

What improvements have been made?

http://www.tomontech.com/2010/08/windows-home-server-vail-august-preview-now-available/

Have a nice day!
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:49 PM
  • We just published the "What's changed" article onto the WHS connect site, but here us a quick summary.  We will make any updates back in the original Connect article and note them as required.

Below is the quick summary list of updates between the previous public preview of Windows Server Code Name “Vail” and the updated Public Preview release (August 16, 2010).

·         Server Deployment:

o   Added page to IC for checking the server time and date

o   On headed setups (IC), if Keyboard layout chosen is non-ascii, then the user is given the choice to toggle keyboard back to English in order to enter an ascii password

·         Client Deployment:

o   Client installation now using .NET Framework 4.0

o   Open DNS support/mitigations

o   Finalizing uninstall process

o   Client servicing support

§  Offer MSI + MSPs to new clients

§  Offer MSI + MSPs to servicing pipe

§  Web request for versioninfo.xml

o   Web request and Custom Action for client-side UI OEM branding support

o   Blocking logic for max number of computers attached to server

o   Blocking non-ASCII computer names to join

o   Trim client-language support to match server language

o   Adding Mac support to client join Web site

o   Bug fixes and UI updates

·         Health and Alerts:

o   Full set of health definitions covering client/server backup, storage, networking, etc

o   Inclusion of additional alert troubleshooting capability

o   Client side controls for filtering alerts

o   Alert Email integration – configure the server to send alerts via Email

o   Updates to alert viewer including organize alerts by computer or alert severity

·         Identity:

o   Device password reset

o   User password reset

o   User password policy

o   User Limits & Warnings

·         Storage:

o   New Storage summary page which provides a high level overview of storage usage on the server including:

§  Folders in the storage pool

§  Other hard drives

§  Server Backup hard drives

o   Previous Versions for Server Folders are turned on by default and are exposed in folder properties

o   File system meta-data is replicated for non-duplicated folders to keep non-duplicated folders accessible in case of a single hard drive failure

o   Check and repair functionality (chkdsk) is now exposed for all server backup hard drives

o   By default non-default storage pools are locked to prevent accidental data loss

o   Added a read-only check for folder

·         Dashboard:

o   “Safe mode”  - if an add-in disrupts the dashboard , Vail will detect it & allow the user to choose whether it is loaded when the Dashboard restarts

o   Add-in scrolling” in the tab strip

o   Dashboard sign in on client UI refresh

·         Launchpad:

o   New User experience

o   “Offline” mode – Launchpad  can now work in an offline mode , whereby the user access Remote Access link or 3rd party links that do not need connection to the server

o   “Settings dialog” , that allows the user to customize what alerts they will see on their client

o   3rd party add-ins to LP can control access on a per user basis

·         Remote Access:

o   Networking

§  OpenDNS support

§  Multi-NIC support for wireless

§  Multi-subnet support for Aurora

o   Domain Name Infrastructure

§  Enable trusted certificate installation for GITME vanity domains

§  Manual domain name configuration for Aurora

o   Web UI

§  .NET 4.0 support

§  Limit language switching to server language and English only

§  Updated branding

o   Media

§  Silverlight 4 support

§  Now playing queue design, paging

o   Settings UI

§  Trusted certificate manual installation wizard

§  Simplified domain name configuration experience

o   SDK

§  APIs to support BPOS integration

·         MAC Support:

o   Onboarding experience similar to Windows clients

o   Managed device in dashboard

o   Launchpad for the mac

o   Alert viewer for the mac

o   Add in provider for the mac

·         Media:

o   Optimize streaming video server performance (media settings page)

o   Media Center Integration - New server folders are added to Win7 client computer libraries after client deployment is complete.

·         HomeGroup:

o   Leave HG, view HG password, change HG password wizards.

o   HG task added to the sharing options getting started task.

o   HG password-out-of-sync status

o   Multiple Homegroups in the same network –conflict resolution scenario. Server is in HG and detects that there is a larger HG in the same home network. The HG settings page notifies user to join to existing larger HG.

and, finally the disclamer..

The information contained in this document represents the current view of Microsoft Corp. on the issues disclosed as of the date of publication. Because Microsoft must respond to changing market conditions, this document should not be interpreted to be a commitment on the part of Microsoft, and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information presented. This document is provided “as‑is”. This document is for informational purposes only. MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN THIS DOCUMENT.

Information in this document, including URL and other Internet web site references, is subject to change without notice. You bear the risk of using it. Unless otherwise noted, the companies, organizations, products, domain names, e-mail addresses, logos, people, places and events depicted in examples herein are fictitious. No association with any real company, organization, product, domain name, e-mail address, logo, person, place or event is intended or should be inferred. Complying with all applicable copyright laws is the responsibility of the user. Microsoft grants you the right to reproduce this guide, in whole or in part.

Microsoft may have patents, patent applications, trademarks, copyrights or other intellectual property rights covering subject matter in this document, except as expressly provided in any written license agreement from Microsoft, the furnishing of this document does not give you any license to these patents, trademarks, copyrights or other intellectual property.

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. The example companies, organizations, products, domain names, e-mail addresses, logos, people, places, and events depicted herein are fictitious. No association with any real company, organization, product, domain name, e-mail address, logo, person, places, or events is intended or should be inferred.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Michael Leworthy [MSFT] Windows Home Server Technical Product Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, August 16, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Might also add that the iso is over 4gb now so you need dl burner and media.  Best suggestion is to install from an 8gb thumb drive.  Or if instaling in a VM you can just mount the iso directly
    Grey
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Good notes.  The build looks like progress; the native addition of Time Machine support is nice, but wow.  I'm really shocked by 3&4.. even though this is a beta and public preview, if they are still having issues with "Significant data loss" then there is something wrong.  At WeGotServed, they note this from the logs:

Issue

Do not use Storage Check and Repair.

Description

Under certain conditions, running Storage Check and Repair may lead to data loss.

Solution

No workaround is available.

Issue

Removing a missing hard drive from a storage pool may delete the wrong files.

Description

If a hard drive is missing, and you remove the missing hard drive from the storage pool, the wizard may incorrectly identify the files damaged because of the missing disk and may delete files that still exist on hard drives that are not missing.

Solution

Before removing the missing hard drive from the storage pool, copy all the files from server folders to a client machine or to an external hard drive, remove the missing hard drive from the storage pool, and then copy back the files

Wow.  I'm just kind of surprised at the risk to data here; this is solely for a test environment.  While RAM requirements are up, and so are features, and it's released at the same time as Aurora, the addition of significant bugs which impact the stability of data is a really bad sign (IMHO)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:06 AM
  • >>   File system meta-data is replicated for non-duplicated folders to keep non-duplicated folders accessible in case of a single hard drive failure

NTFS metadata is 100% useless if the majority of your files have 1GB chunks missing from their content stream...

I'm sure the MS engineers realize the irony here.  Maybe the DEv2 "deal breaker" is going to be addressed after all?  As long as they're breaking compatibility with every release, they may as well go for broke :)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Incredible nice update with all the Mac support. Great step forwards!

Thanks!

Bastiaan.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Just so I am clear. We have to completely reinstall correct? Do I need to format beforehand or will the install take care of it?

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:05 PM
  • You will need to completely reinstall. You don't have to format your drives first, Vail will take care of formatting the system drive for you upon installation, and other drives when you remove them from non-default storage and add them to server storage.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Is anyone else having a problem requesting a new product key on connect?  Mine says none are available and the two I pulled for the first preview will not activate.

Thanks,

Chad

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:29 PM
  • I agree with not being able to generate another key, I generated two from the last beta and I am still able to use them.

On the Refresh I have done 4 installs and they have worked.

--
    Don
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Cant even download, must be busy?  I am using the microsoft file transfer manager but it keeps stopping my download.

Anyone else have this issue?

Maj.Havoc Win 7 X64
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:31 AM
  • Cant even download, must be busy?  I am using the microsoft file transfer manager but it keeps stopping my download.

Maj.Havoc Win 7 X64
    Same issue here its been downloading all day and still isint finished , just the install disk too.. lame
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:45 AM

Maj.Havoc Win 7 X64

Same here, stops about every 20-30 min, finally gave up maybe try again another time after some of the issues are worked out.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Same issue here yesterday.  Will try again today.

"Maj.Havoc" wrote in message
    news:0d305bea-6731-48f8-86be-85a51f8a0de0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Cant even download, must be busy?  I am using the microsoft file transfer
    > manager but it keeps stopping my download.
    >
    > Anyone else have this issue?
    >
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Maj.Havoc Win 7 X64

Walter Blanchard
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Product keys: don't bother. Just rearm activation after 30 days; you can do this twice.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Does anybody know yet if the beta MS Security Essentials works with this build?
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:37 PM
  • It will install. Microsoft has not, however, said that it's safe.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:41 PM
  • The original vail public preview keys DO work for the refresh, otherwise why would they
    have renamed the keys to: "Vail Public Preview and Refresh Product Keys"? In fact I just
    used one of those keys to activate the refresh and it activated without any problem.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --------------------------
    "Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:ae2bf600-1cd6-4cd1-9300-1ef2b60f8d0e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Product keys: don't bother. Just rearm activation after 30 days; you can do this twice.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Interesting, my download was "only" 4.05GB (according to Windows Explorer) and DVD-R & +R can hold up to 4.7. So, I don't think a DL is needed quite yet.

Jim

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:37 AM
  • Are there any recommended limits for the Aug. refresh as to disk count or total pool size.

-timotl

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:32 PM
  • I understand that I have to flatten my existing Vail server but after I finish the new install using the Refresh can I restore my data from my previous vail server backups or do I have to wipe those out and copy all those files to my external drive?

Thanks

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:46 AM
  • for some reason i am unable to get this download

currently running a preview release that i got, but i can't get this or other files through connect in regards of vail... (i also have SBS Aurora in test enviroment and this is still working fine for me in Connect)

why is this?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:23 AM
  • I'm also having trouble finding the download.

Has it been pulled?

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:03 AM
  • I can no longer see the download either.  I get an error message when trying to get to the Connect program of Vail

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Help link at the top of the page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail: dce498a4-13be-4e18-97c5-4cf6c6df9a9d

Monday, September 13, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Clear your cookies from IE and then try again.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    I'm a PC and Windows 7 sucks less!
    ----------------------------------------------
    "dwaynel" wrote in message
    news:3fd8d4c2-fefc-4997-8558-91be14a1bedd@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I can no longer see the download either.  I get an error message when trying to get to the
    Connect program of Vail

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Help link at the top of the
    page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail:
    dce498a4-13be-4e18-97c5-4cf6c6df9a9d

Monday, September 13, 2010 5:56 AM
  • i cleared the cookies and then re-applied... now i get to download the new version

hope it works better from now on

(OH! and i am also posting this with another username than previously used, ENLOX is me)

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Clear your cookies from IE and then try again.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    I'm a PC and Windows 7 sucks less!
    ----------------------------------------------

Still not working for me.  Now I get An object that you requested, or that was needed to process your request could not be found.

This is at URL https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/SelfNomination.aspx?ProgramID=1475&pageType=1&wa=wsignin1.0

Rgds

Dwayne

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Thanks everyone ... clearing cookies did the trick!!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:21 AM
  • I am not sure what would cause that error page to come up. Are you able to sign in to the Connect site okay?

https://connect.microsoft.com

I suspect you may be having a permissions issue - usually because of a sign in error. If you can't sign in to Connect at all, you may need to contact MS support.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729574

Perhaps someone else can help with this, I have never seen that error msg before. Sorry!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Can anyone tell me what the latest Build number of Vail is the most current?  I have Build 7600 (according to the lower right of the desktop), but I'm not sure if I have the latest refresh or not.
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 5:01 AM
  • The build number you're interested in isn't displayed on the desktop. In the Dashboard, click Help, then About. The dashboard version for the current build is 7657.
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Anyone know for sure if its been pulled? I just got a new server for home, and would love to try out the new HMS OS but cant get to the link. I get the same error that is listed above.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Anyone know for sure if its been pulled? I just got a new server for home, and would love to try out the new HMS OS but cant get to the link. I get the same error that is listed above.

What makes you think it has been pulled? The download is still on Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=30357

Art Folden
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:55 PM
  • maybe I just don't have access to that DL then. I get that page on the link you se nt.

Page Not Found

If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Help link at the top of the page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail: 4b4e08ef-e671-41d7-bd5c-4fe598ae85bb

Microsoft Connect welcome page.

And this on the connect site.

An object that you requested, or that was needed to process your request could not be found.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:05 PM
  • The link still is working for me, I just tried it.

The downloads are still there.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:41 PM
  • must be because I did not sign up in time to get the download link as part of my account.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:47 PM

Will these issue will be fixed when it becomes "Final Version" release?
    Monday, November 8, 2010 4:43 AM
  • it would certainly be nice to have them fixed sooner than later. For now, because of the potential requirement to make a clear reinstal once the final version arrives, I am sticking around with the previous version and not even bothering to run the Vail preview. It is a pity that there is no information on the final availiability and the planned upgrade path from beta to RTM version. We have been asking this question for quite some time, with no answers, though

Marek

Monday, November 8, 2010 4:19 PM
  • It is a pity that there is no information on the final availiability and the planned upgrade path from beta to RTM version. We have been asking this question for quite some time, with no answers, though

Marek

These questions have been asked several times, both here on connect and on other boards and when MVP`s answer they give the following information::

1) There will not be an announcement of RTM until its ready. Microsoft are not placing any artificial deadlines on the beta. This is typical behaviour and shouldn`t come as a surprise.

2) There is no planned upgrade path. When you chose to install Vail RTM, you will need to install from scratch and reload your data from backups.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:59 AM

Will these issue will be fixed when it becomes "Final Version" release?

1 and 2 are not issues to be fixed. 3 and 4 will certainly be worked on before RTM. Vail is predominantly a storage server, so storage issues are somewhat important to get right ;-)
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Thank you

That tell me to stick with the current version if I need something sooner rather than later.

Regards

Marek

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:51 PM
  • That tell me to stick with the current version if I need something sooner
    rather than later.
    ----
    Marek, we've been told many times, "Do not use a beta for production
    purposes."

Ideally, you should always stick with WHS v1 (the current version) for
    production; set up another machine with WHS Vail for beta testing. That way,
    you won't lose date if the beta crashes and burns.

On the other paw, I use a 500 GB WD MyBook to store my regular data.
    Periodically, I write a CD with all the data contained on MyBook. Since I
    don't have an extra machine and since I have all my data on MyBook, I can
    safely use WHS Vail beta as my sole backup for now.

This is not a "one size fits all" solution, but I find it works for me.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:08 PM