Remote access with closed port? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Linksys AM300 modem which will be connected to a D-Link DIR655 router, and my laptop and HP MSS will be wired to it.

I did a check on ShieldsUP! and according to them ports 80 and 443 are closed, but not stealthed. My ISP say they don't block any ports, and I just run the standard Windows Firewall on Windows Vista.

My knowledge of ports and networking is a bit lacking, so once I have have everything set up, does it means that remote access will work or not?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:48 PM

Answers

• The ports will only show open when your server is connected and running, with remote access webpage configured. Also ports should be forwarded properly (to the IP address of your server).

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:27 PM

All replies

• The ports will only show open when your server is connected and running, with remote access webpage configured. Also ports should be forwarded properly (to the IP address of your server).

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:27 PM
  • If your network knowledge is up to it, a lot of people now have port 80 turned off for WHS. All that does is increase the security a little, as it means there is now only https access available.

Colin

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:56 PM