validation RRS feed

• Question

• \

had windows genuine now its not genuine

Sunday, April 29, 2007 6:56 AM

Answers

• Bouges,

"Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Dell to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of Windows XP Home Edition.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.  If the computer does not have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed, your other option is to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Reinstallation CD supplied by Dell, you can order the CD for many Dell models directly from Dell for a reasonably modest fee, usually around $15.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com"

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Hi Bouges,

Please re-read Dans last post. You do not need to buy XP again, just use the Dell recovery CD. If you do not have the Dell Recovery CD, contact Dell and it may cost 15$ to get a replacment CD (Allot less then buying XP Retail). 

Dan also suggested going to http://www.restoredisks.com and seeing if they have the restore CD for your model.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Monday, May 7, 2007 11:59 PM

All replies

• Bouges,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:05 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4RHJG-83M4Y-7X9GW
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5CG2aCaHENU8LMWFFoQ/184emQ0=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-649-6478953-23870
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: c31e07ad-7d6c-494c-9cd2-ec64b5173fac
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>c31e07ad-7d6c-494c-9cd2-ec64b5173fac</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7X9GW</PKey><PID>55274-649-6478953-23870</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-861567501-1425521274-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dell DE051                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060103000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>C1A13CE70184605C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>9B3776158B8BA5E</Val><Hash>AauY+LlPfpCQ9SiTBAzA8tyhEYU=</Hash><Pid>81605-303-9135201-65931</Pid><PidType>10</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I have a COA. For the windows disc my friend left its different its xp pro sp1. That is what my friend installed when my computer crashed. The computer is from dell and we purchased it from bell canada.
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Bouges,

What edition of XP is on the CoA?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 7:36 PM
  • it is windows xp home edition
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Bouges,

Right now, your Dell computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK reported by the mgadiag utility, 4RHJG-83M4Y-7X9GW, you will see that it is a very "popular" VLK with at least three dozen other posters having submitted reports with that same blocked VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Aslo, a Volume License for XP is an upgrade license ONLY and cannot be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Dell to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of Windows XP Home Edition.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.  If the computer does not have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed, your other option is to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Reinstallation CD supplied by Dell, you can order the CD for many Dell models directly from Dell for a reasonably modest fee, usually around $15.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:49 AM
  • i have the disk that the other windows was installed with and i have my product key that came with the computer when we bought it, is their anything else i can do?
    Monday, May 7, 2007 8:12 AM
  • Bouges,

No, these will not work together.  The "other disk that the other windows was installed with" is for XP Pro (and if it is a copied disc the chances are about 50-50 that is it loaded with spyware, rootkits, and other malware).  You cannot activate an installation of XP Pro with an XP Home Product Key.

Monday, May 7, 2007 12:39 PM
  • so what do i do now please?
    Monday, May 7, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Bouges,

"Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Dell to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of Windows XP Home Edition.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.  If the computer does not have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed, your other option is to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Reinstallation CD supplied by Dell, you can order the CD for many Dell models directly from Dell for a reasonably modest fee, usually around $15.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com"

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:43 PM
  • i have to buy a new windows disk, i already had it installed why do i have to pay again. what do i do im in dire needs
    Monday, May 7, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Hi Bouges,

Please re-read Dans last post. You do not need to buy XP again, just use the Dell recovery CD. If you do not have the Dell Recovery CD, contact Dell and it may cost 15$ to get a replacment CD (Allot less then buying XP Retail). 

Dan also suggested going to http://www.restoredisks.com and seeing if they have the restore CD for your model.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Monday, May 7, 2007 11:59 PM