none
Desktop Viewer for Microsoft forums

Question

• Hello,

Is there a Windows 7 compatible desktop client that makes it fast and easy to view forum posting in threaded format?

Years ago I used to use Outlook Express and it worked really nicely. I am now on Windows 7 and no Outlook Express.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:50 PM

Answers

• I think you'll also need to get an NNTP newsreader of some sort. What you spoke of in the past was all the Microsoft newsgroups were hosted on a Microsoft NNTP news server farm. The NNTP groups have been gone for 10 years or more and have been migrated to forums. The nntp bridge was a fix to allow those that preferred to use offline type NNTP readers to continue to connect to the forums discussions.

There may be some documentation or discussions at the link Mike has posted.

Also note: To use this bridge, you also need to enable the NNTP access on your profile page

Quick Access|My Settings

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can give this a try:

https://communitybridge3.codeplex.com/

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

Downloaded and got it running. It just shows a list of forums but there is no threaded conversation view.

Am I missing something?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

I don't actually use the bridge myself, so I don't really know what it looks like. Perhaps something needs to be done in the newsreader you're using, but I'm just guessing.

Hopefully someone who does use the bridge will see this and offer an opinion.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:44 PM
  • I have tried two clients (RSS bandit & Thunderbird) but can't get them to connect to the Bridge.

The bridge has no documentation on how to connect a client to it!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:01 PM
  • I think you'll also need to get an NNTP newsreader of some sort. What you spoke of in the past was all the Microsoft newsgroups were hosted on a Microsoft NNTP news server farm. The NNTP groups have been gone for 10 years or more and have been migrated to forums. The nntp bridge was a fix to allow those that preferred to use offline type NNTP readers to continue to connect to the forums discussions.

There may be some documentation or discussions at the link Mike has posted.

Also note: To use this bridge, you also need to enable the NNTP access on your profile page

Quick Access|My Settings

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Dave.

I worked out how to get the bridge and RSS Bandit working: I needed to put 127.0.0.1 in the server url! You would have thought the developer could have documented that!

Warning: the tool is incredibly slow...

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:23 AM
  • You're welcome. Yea I only used the bridge for a short period. I loved my OE6 back when we were still using the old NNTP groups in 90's, but alas a thing of the past now.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:44 AM