WHS Native Backups: Incremental or Full? RRS feed

• Question

• I suppose I'll dope it out on my own after watching a few days of backups and disk space - and I've spent a half hour Googling for the answer.

Having said all that...

Are my WHS backups full or incremental?

I see that the utility allows me to double-click on a given date's backup and see all the files on the affected drive.

But does that list include only the files explicitly backed up by that backup?   Or am I looking at the latest version of each file that's been backed up - perhaps by prior runs?

Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

• Backups are incremental, they are saving only changed clusters of a file.
    If you go back to a certain date you will see the file matching that date.
    For more details you can also download the Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore from the Windows Home Server support site.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Data is backed up incrementally, as it changes; this cuts down on the size of the backup database, and the time it takes to back up an individual home computer. However, from the point of view of the end user, every backup is a full backup, with the most recent (as of the date of the backup) version of the file available.

The link Olaf has provided gives you some additional technical detail as to how backups work.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• Backups are incremental, they are saving only changed clusters of a file.
    If you go back to a certain date you will see the file matching that date.
    For more details you can also download the Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore from the Windows Home Server support site.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Data is backed up incrementally, as it changes; this cuts down on the size of the backup database, and the time it takes to back up an individual home computer. However, from the point of view of the end user, every backup is a full backup, with the most recent (as of the date of the backup) version of the file available.

The link Olaf has provided gives you some additional technical detail as to how backups work.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Ken Warren said:The link Olaf has provided gives you some additional technical detail as to how backups work.

Sounds promising, but I'm unable to open  it.

Tried installing Word 2007 reader - which sounds like it should do the job.

Anybody got a hint for opening .Docx files?

Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Word 2007 reader should do it, yes. Failing that, try the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:51 AM