DNS and live meeting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed OCS 2007 successfully for internal use . I gone through the doc but I could not understated concept of DNS

As below my setup

1) Installed AD and exchange 2003 on one machine. “Test.com”

2) SQL 2005 installed on one machine

2) OCS 2007 install on machine.

I have installed OCS 2007 server on machine name“xyz” it is member of Test.com. So it has created DNS  "A" entry in DNS as “xyz.test.com”

I was tiring  installing I enterprise pool as “XYZ (pool name) ” but it has given me  DNS entry error “like DNS entry is already using for computer “

So I created CNAME as “abc” and it redirected to “XYZ” A host recorded...and install Enterprise pool name as “abc”

It installed successfully all component (front end server, Web conferencing, A/V conferencing)

Now i am able to login from communicator 2007 by setting

Internal: Abc.test.com

External: ABC, test.com as TLS

But

But I am not able use web console by using URL which are in the service propertis eg https://xyz.text.com:5064

I would like test on Live meeting, video /Audio confusing for internal us not external .

I tried  live meeting, video /audio confusing and conference call for internal use on normal desktop it say the URL is not existing for below likes

1)https://xyz.text.com:5061

2) https://xyz.text.com:5064

3)https://xyz.text.com:8057

4) https://xyz.text.com:5064

Please let me know what could be the issue , Is it issue with DNS please help me ASAP

And also I am confuse about installed services ( all are confuse in my office all services are looking all  use like  live meeting, video /Audio confusing) I would like know what is exact different .

1) Front Ends: - exact use of this service (it can be for live meeting, video /Audio confusing)

2) Web conferencing:

3) A/V conferencing:

4) Web components:

Thanks

Suresh

Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Suresh,

based upon your following statement

"So I created CNAME as “abc” and it redirected to “XYZ” A host recorded...and install Enterprise pool name as “abc”

I assume you tried to create a poolname that matches the servername. Creating a CNAME for a pool and pointing to the OCS servers A Record is not a supported configuration. The pool name and the servername must be unique.

Regards

Athanasios

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Suresh,

based upon your following statement

"So I created CNAME as “abc” and it redirected to “XYZ” A host recorded...and install Enterprise pool name as “abc”

I assume you tried to create a poolname that matches the servername. Creating a CNAME for a pool and pointing to the OCS servers A Record is not a supported configuration. The pool name and the servername must be unique.

Regards

Athanasios

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:10 AM
  • Thanks Athanasios,

I have installed successfully Enterprise pool as ABC it is working fine ..

1)I can able to login communicator 2007..  

2)i am bale to do live meeting (internally).

3)only problem is that I am not able use URL's XYZ.test.com:5061/8057 or abc.test.com:5061/8057 for web conferncing..

It required egde server need's install on other machin?or dns SVR record need's update...

(i am using only interanl testing purose) not external...

also i would like to know what is 1)Unassigned User 2)Mediation Server.

Please help me...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:54 AM
  • Hi Suresh,

please make sure that you don`t use a CNAME for the pool. Fix this first do a test again and let me know if you need more help.

Concerning your questions:

1. Unassigned user is a user that has not been activated for OCS

2. Mediation server is needed for PBX and Telephony integration

Regards

Athanasios

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:41 AM
  • Once agian Athanasios,

Can is it work's  if I do DNS entry   XYZ-10.88.64.120 for host entry 
      For Enterpris pool DNs entry      ABC -10.88.64.120

bcz : on XYZ machin i have installed OCS and ip -10.88.64.120

Is It required egde server for internal A/V conferencing? till i have not installed egde sever on differnet machine.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:24 AM
  •  

Hello Suresh,

we should clarify one thing again that you are using a CNAME for the pool and this configuration is not supprted.

It might work or not but it remains unsupported.

So before beginning troubleshooting external Meeting issues you need to ensure that internally everything is setup as required.

If so and you face again problems feel free to repost your issue.

Regards

Athanasios

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:06 AM
  • Thanks lot Athonasios,

I need one more help for Unassigned user ..

I am not able see Unassigned users ,I think it shoud show all users from AD which i have not been activated for OCS..

Is there any extra setting for that..

Please help me ... 

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:01 AM
  •  

Hello Suresh,

I must correct/precise my previous statement and I hope I did not confuse you.

An unassigned user is a user that is enabled for OCS but not currently assigned to a valid standard Edition or pool.

Here is the corresponding excerpt from the help:

"If the server or pool that a user is assigned to is deactivated or removed from the Office Communications Server environment, the pool assignment becomes invalid and the user is added to the Unassigned users list. When users are not assigned to a server or pool, they cannot sign in using their Communications Server account."

So this means that you will only see the users in this console tree if the criterias above have been met otherwise it will remain empty.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Athanasios

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:34 AM