Cannot Create Contacts for Accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We just upgraded to CRM 4.0 for version 3.0. After the upgrade, some users told me that they cannot create Contact to an Account anymore, even though the Account belongs to them.

I've read that I need to enable the Create and Read Customer Relationship role for that users to do this. However that still didn't fix this for me.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks in advanced for your help!

-Elizabeth K.

Monday, April 5, 2010 10:52 PM

Answers

• I understand,

Since there is an issue with the security role, the best way to deal with it is make a copy of your System Admin role and then tweak the rights on the copied role to match the existing security role that is not working as expected.  Replace the role that is not working with the new role.  I've had to do this a few times after upgrades.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:00 AM

All replies

• Do the users who are experiencing the issue have the same security role?  If so, copy an existing security role that was installed with the original CRM implementation and tweak it to meet the security requirement.  There are issues that surface with CRM security roles that were created and not copied.

You can test to see if it is a security issue by temporarily giving the user Sys Admin rights and then have them try the same action on the Account or Contact record.

Monday, April 5, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Donna.

They can create Contact on Account if I give them the Sys Admin right. However, I want to be careful of not giving too much privilege for them.

Before the CRM 4.0 upgrade they used to be able to create Contact for Account with no problem. I'm trying to figure out if there is any hidden CRM 4.0 privileges that I need to enable here.

Thanks for all your help.

-Elizabeth K.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:04 AM
  • I understand,

Since there is an issue with the security role, the best way to deal with it is make a copy of your System Admin role and then tweak the rights on the copied role to match the existing security role that is not working as expected.  Replace the role that is not working with the new role.  I've had to do this a few times after upgrades.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Donna, thanks for your reply.

So I have copied the System Admin role as a new role and make an exact match of the currently problematic security role. After I replaced the existing security role to the newly created one, unfortunately this didn't fix the problem :(

Is there a known bug in the security role that casued this to happen?

Thanks for your help!

-Elizabeth K.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Ok, so at least we ruled out the issue with creating a new security role vs using a copy of the existing role and we know it is a security role issue because the user can perform the action with Sys Admin rights.  It is apparent that there must be a missing setting that is required by 4.0 but was not required in the same way by 3.0.

One easy way to troubleshoot this is to copy the sys admin role again and make changes to 10 rights.  Try the action and see if the user can create the Contact.  If so, move on to the next set of 10 changes.  At some point, you'll find the error in the role and then you can narrow it down to 1 of the 10.  I've seen issues with not have queue rights set to Organization so you can try that first.  Also, not having append and append to rights on products.  Of course, ensure the appropriate level of append and append to on both Account and Contact.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:34 PM