MSMoneyQuotes - still confused RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what the answer to this issue is:

When I  run MSMoneyQuotes, I get “HSB -> Symbol not found on MSN Money” I have looked at the SymbolMap.csv, there is no HSB. I do not have an investment which has HSB in it either. So, the question is, where does MSMoneyQuotes look at to decide what prices to try and download?

Under portfolio -> Update prices -> Pick quotes to download – there is no HSB there either. Only items ticked are the ones I want prices to download for.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:11 AM

All replies

• Go to an investment register (could be real or a Watch account).

In the investment field, type HSB<tabKey>. That will populate the investment. Choose Dividend or Buy. Fill in an amount or amounts to get the transaction entered. You are going to delete this transaction anyway.

By now, the investment field will show what investment has HSB as its symbol. Right-click the new transaction, and choose GoToInvestment. Choose Details. Either blank the Symbol field, or put in the proper symbol for that security.

Delete the fake transaction.

This will work, even for a Deleted security.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 12:35 PM
  • Go to an investment register (could be real or a Watch account).

In the investment field, type HSB<tabKey>. That will populate the investment. Choose Dividend or Buy. Fill in an amount or amounts to get the transaction entered. You are going to delete this transaction anyway.

By now, the investment field will show what investment has HSB as its symbol. Right-click the new transaction, and choose GoToInvestment. Choose Details. Either blank the Symbol field, or put in the proper symbol for that security.

Delete the fake transaction.

This will work, even for a Deleted security.

Tried this but still no joy.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 6:28 PM
  • At what point did the process fail to perform as expected? When you hit the tab key?

Here is another idea:

Use  -m     when you invoke MSMoneyQuotes. That says to use SymbolMap.csv file to resolve symbols.  That creates SymbolMap.csv if it does not yet exist. Then edit  SymbolMap.csv  to add the following line:

HSB,126.1.MELI.NAS,

Thereafter use the -m. What that should do is to give a report back that the price of that stock is about $658, rather than saying it cannot find it. Given that price, you may be able to find what security has been associated with HSB.

You can edit SymbolMap.csv with a text editor, such as notpad (simplest probably), or you can modify it with Excel.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:24 PM
  • At what point did the process fail to perform as expected? When you hit the tab key?

Here is another idea:

Use  -m     when you invoke MSMoneyQuotes. That says to use SymbolMap.csv file to resolve symbols.  That creates SymbolMap.csv if it does not yet exist. Then edit  SymbolMap.csv  to add the following line:

HSB,126.1.MELI.NAS,

Thereafter use the -m. What that should do is to give a report back that the price of that stock is about $658, rather than saying it cannot find it. Given that price, you may be able to find what security has been associated with HSB.

You can edit SymbolMap.csv with a text editor, such as notpad (simplest probably), or you can modify it with Excel.

Thanks Cal. I am in UK and use -m already. 

So, I tried HSB,151.1.HSB.LON which now states that HSB was resolved using the SymbolMap file. However, further down, the report does not show any price for HSB at all. A thought, does MSQuotes use SymbolMap file only when getting quotes? Perhaps, I might delete the SymbolMaps file and start again to see what happens.

• Edited by finwizzard Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:07 AM
  • MSQuotes uses the SymbolMap file only when getting quotes.

I was thinking of having the wrong quote for the mystery HSB reference by having a quote for something else appear. Then look to see if anything in your Portfolio, including Closed Postitions, (Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->ShowClosedPositions)

Then look to see if anything shows that price. Then once you find that, either blank the symbol or put the right symbol.

At what step did things not go as hoped when you "Tried this but still no joy"?

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:52 PM
  • MSQuotes uses the SymbolMap file only when getting quotes.

I was thinking of having the wrong quote for the mystery HSB reference by having a quote for something else appear. Then look to see if anything in your Portfolio, including Closed Postitions, (Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->ShowClosedPositions)

Then look to see if anything shows that price. Then once you find that, either blank the symbol or put the right symbol.

At what step did things not go as hoped when you "Tried this but still no joy"?

When I use this : (Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->ShowClosedPositions), the portfolio view does not show a single closed position / account. It only shows current investments. I have a few closed investoment accounts which do not appear in the portfolio.. Here lies the problem I think. I have repaired the money file but no luck.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:11 PM
  • I would go to Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView and choose a View that you don't usually use. One that is not Customized.

My thinking is that you may have Customized your favorite view to un-tick one of the accounts.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:32 PM
  • Cal, thanks a lot. Does not work. I guess I will have to live with it - does not seem to cause any harm but is damn annoying!:(
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:30 PM
  • Strange.

You could make an extra backup, in case you want to undo.

Then do

1. File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepairFile
    2. File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2
    3. File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepairFile

Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:29 AM
  • Tried this twice. Still not resolved! Very strange!
    Friday, January 24, 2020 9:41 AM