Project won't compile after moving from VS2013 to VS2015 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large "Web Site" project. Unistalled VS2013 and installed VS2015 Final version. The project will not compile. The error list shows 743 errors but there are probably more that are not displayed. Upon loading the project there was no conversion proccess as in past migrations. The errors seem to all be related to things not being defined or missing references. Simple things like List(of T), EventArg, IPostBackEventHandler, and all built in Web Form Controls are simply not recognized (not defined). My name spaces are declared in my Web.config but they seem to be ignored.

<pages enableViewStateMac="false" controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID">
         <namespaces>
              <add namespace="Microsoft.VisualBasic"/>
              <add namespace="System"/>
              <add namespace="System.Data"/>
              <add namespace="System.Drawing"/>
              <add namespace="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
              <add namespace="System.Collections.Generic"/>
              <add namespace="System.Web.Optimization" />    <!-- added for bundling and minification -->
         </namespaces>
     </pages>

• Moved by Barry Wang Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:58 AM ASP.NET related question
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 1:39 AM

Answers

• @Perry,

I know it may a little complex but I suggest you copy your content from that project to any new project if you don't know how to modify the exist project to check its reference. That will be much better since your original project may already corrupt somewhere. Or we can see the reference is not available for those projects.

By the way, since this is a project upgrade issue from VS2013 to VS2015. I recommend you consult this web project related issue to http://forums.asp.net/

Your Visual Studio installation do not have problem.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Barry Wang Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, August 28, 2015 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hello Perry Manole,

Can you try create a new project and will you reproduce this error?

When you install Visual Studio 2015 please remember to add the web developer tool as a feature.

Visual Studio 2015 typical install now does not include some features, such as web developer tool, C++, you need to manually add them yourself. I guess that is the problem of your issue.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:40 AM
  • I get no error when I create a new project of any type. I also don't get any errors with any of my other non WebSite projects. Only on this one particular WebSite project.

Yes, I did add the web developer features when I did the VS2015 install.

Did more tests since my last post. Originally I had uninstalled VS2013 and then installed VS2015. That's when I got all the errors in VS2015. Since then I reinstalled VS2013 back so now I have both installed. I no longer get the errors with VS2013 installed while in VS2015. As soon as I unistall VS2013 the errors come back.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:52 AM
  • @Perry,

So it seems this project are relied on some components from Visual Studio 2013. I think you may need to check it.

Anyway, it seems this is not a Visual Studio Setup problem. Your Visual Studio can work without problem after the installation.

Best regards,

Barry

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:27 PM
  • But the IDE complains about simple things like List(of T) and IPostBackEventHandler and all Web Form Controls. It doesn't recognize any of these basic objects. It doesn't even recognize EventArg as a native structure. I highly doubt these only exist in VS2013.

How do I go about troubleshooting this problem?

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:52 PM
  • @Perry,

This is related to the project. I think you can check your project file. For example, edit your csproject file. Sometimes, the project is trying to find the reference from your reference list in your project. But if you haven't specify it in your project, the project will check the reference from system default place.

I think in your case, your project haven't set that kind of value. So if you don't have VS2013, it is still trying to search for the VS2013 dll and then you get this error.

Take this mscorlib as a example:https://blog.lextudio.com/2013/08/how-to-resolve-mscorlib-related-issues-in-visual-studiomsbuild/

So please check the error in your project, find it's reference and try if you can set it in your project.

Best regards,

Barry

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:58 AM
  • My project is a Web Site project. Web Site projects have no project files. My non Web Site projects work fine. The problem is with these special Web Site projects.
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:36 AM
  • @Perry,

I know it may a little complex but I suggest you copy your content from that project to any new project if you don't know how to modify the exist project to check its reference. That will be much better since your original project may already corrupt somewhere. Or we can see the reference is not available for those projects.

By the way, since this is a project upgrade issue from VS2013 to VS2015. I recommend you consult this web project related issue to http://forums.asp.net/

Your Visual Studio installation do not have problem.

Best regards,

Barry

• Edited by Barry Wang Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, August 28, 2015 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:55 AM