ICE 2.0 (x64) "cannot open video file" WMV (from windows phone) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I get the error "cannot open video file" when trying to open some existing videos, including from my windows phone (1020)

What am I missing?

Thanks

Paul.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:18 PM

Answers

• "cannot open video file", is all that the Image Composite Editor dialog box stated
    Windows 8 (6.3, Build 9600)

Nothing in event log's

Uninstalled ICE, .NET, C++...

Reinstall all

Updated All

ICE opens the file(s)

All is well :-)

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:24 PM

All replies

• Can Windows Media Player view these videos?
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Yes, Media Player plays them
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:31 PM
  • Thanks for checking. That's odd, ICE uses WMP to load files so we usually don't see this. If you could share the video with us (dropbox, onedrive) and send mail to hdview@microsoft.com we could take a look.
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the video. This worked on my test system. What version of Windows are you on? Is there any other text in the error message from ICE?
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:54 PM
  • "cannot open video file", is all that the Image Composite Editor dialog box stated
    Windows 8 (6.3, Build 9600)

Nothing in event log's

Uninstalled ICE, .NET, C++...

Reinstall all

Updated All

ICE opens the file(s)

All is well :-)

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:24 PM
  • I am having this same issue where I get the message "Cannot open video file" when trying to do a New Panorama from Video. The original file was .avi, so I tried .wmv and .mov, but all of these get the same message. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ICE for 64-bit (not .NET, C++, etc...I don't want to have to do that), but still not working.

What are the accepted/compatible file types for videos? And according to the answer, what else needs to be uninstalled besides .NET and C++? The ellipsis doesn't really tell me what else got uninstalled/reinstalled to make this work, and I'm not seeing why all these uninstalls are necessary for fixing this issue. Help on this would be appreciated (perhaps Eric Stollnitz can shed some light since he marked this as the answer). Thanks.

• Edited by talsan Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:47 PM changes
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:41 PM