Gigabit pci NIC recommendations? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Im using an older parts setup with onboard 10/100 and an athlon xp1800. Is it worth upgrading to pci gigabit NIC?

All 6 of my pc's in my network support gbE and Im also considering buying a gbE switch.

Is it safe to say that if a NIC ships with server2003 drivers it should be compatible?

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:45 PM

Answers

• If you're looking for a suggestion, I used a TrendNet Gigabit card.  Works great and was not expensive.  Basically any card that has Windows 2003 drivers will work.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:58 PM

All replies

• Yep.  Plus a dedicated NIC will free up some cycles on your CPU.  Older boards with a built in NIC sometimes use the CPU to handle processing.

Plus you will get a bigger pipe for your 6 PC's to access your server.
    Monday, February 4, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I converted an older HP. Disabled onboard nic and installed NIC INTEL|PWLA8391GTBLK GIGABIT ([Intel Pro/1000 GT] this is an oem). Downloaded Win 2003 server drivers for it. No issues. Mind you I did this while I was setting up WHS so I had the monitor, keyboard & mouse connected. You'll have full access to all the nic configuration options that way. You won't have those options when you go 'headless'.
    Monday, February 4, 2008 6:20 PM
  • If you're looking for a suggestion, I used a TrendNet Gigabit card.  Works great and was not expensive.  Basically any card that has Windows 2003 drivers will work.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:58 PM
  • If you're doing it because you think it will increase backup speed, I don't think it's worth it.  Check out some of the other posts and you'll see that 100MB can easily handle WHS.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:41 PM
  • I gave up on Gigabit tweaking because of the speed issues.  I tried to increase the frame size but could never get anything to talk.

3dog
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:42 AM