none
HPC Excel Event Log on Workstation Nodes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I noticed that HPC Excel events will not be generated under Event Viewer\Applications and Service Logs\Microsoft\HPC\Excel on Workstation nodes running Windows 7 in my HPC cluster. On compute nodes running Server 2012 R2 event logs are recorded as expected. Most of the jobs we run on HPC are Excel jobs and we use these logs regularly to troubleshoot issues.

Is there a way to enable these event logs for workstation nodes? I am using HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update 3.

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. We will check this issue.

Qiufang Shi

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi retet292,

We did a test in the environment you mentioned (HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update3 + Windows 7 WN), and event log in "Event Viewer\Applications and Service Logs\Microsoft\HPC\Excel" appeared successfully on Windows7 WN.

Please help check if both "HPC Excel Admin Events" and "HPC Excel Operational" logs are enabled in Event Viewer on workstation node. If not, please enable them.

Also you can try typing following command in cmd window
    logman start hpcexcel -p {F194DA4C-E627-4D6C-82CF-8E91AB00DB27} -o [YOURLOGFOLDER]\hpcexcel.etl -ets
    in which F194DA4C-E627-4D6C-82CF-8E91AB00DB27 is GUID of HPCExcel event log GUID. This command will create a new event log file hpcexcel.etl and start tracing. Please check if this file has any content after certain time period by using "tracerpt [YOURLOGFOLDER]\hpcexcel.etl".

Please note that basically "HPC Excel Admin Events" and "HPC Excel Operational" logs only log Warning and Error level information. If your Excel service is working fine on the workstation node, you are going to see nothing in both event logs.

Thanks,
    Zihao

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hi Zihao,

The workstation nodes I am using have been on my HPC cluster for over a year and there are no events in these locations, however there are thousands on the compute nodes. I have also tested running workbooks that would generate events and they do not appear on the workstation nodes. I have checked and both locations have logs enabled in event viewer.

Where do I find the GUID that I should be using? I have copied yours for the moment to see if anything is generated. This is the dumpfile so far:

<Events>
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    	<System>
    		<Provider Guid="{9e814aad-3204-11d2-9a82-006008a86939}" />
    		<EventID>0</EventID>
    		<Version>2</Version>
    		<Level>0</Level>
    		<Task>0</Task>
    		<Opcode>0</Opcode>
    		<Keywords>0x0</Keywords>
    		<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-05-01T09:47:10.710877500Z" />
    		<Correlation ActivityID="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" />
    		<Execution ProcessID="5100" ThreadID="9460" ProcessorID="0" KernelTime="30" UserTime="0" />
    		<Channel />
    		<Computer />
    	</System>
    	<EventData>
    		<Data Name="BufferSize">    8192</Data>
    		<Data Name="Version">83951878</Data>
    		<Data Name="ProviderVersion">    7601</Data>
    		<Data Name="NumberOfProcessors">       4</Data>
    		<Data Name="EndTime">0</Data>
    		<Data Name="TimerResolution">  156001</Data>
    		<Data Name="MaxFileSize">       0</Data>
    		<Data Name="LogFileMode">0x0</Data>
    		<Data Name="BuffersWritten">       0</Data>
    		<Data Name="StartBuffers">       1</Data>
    		<Data Name="PointerSize">       8</Data>
    		<Data Name="EventsLost">       0</Data>
    		<Data Name="CPUSpeed">    3192</Data>
    		<Data Name="LoggerName">0x5</Data>
    		<Data Name="LogFileName">0x5</Data>
    		<Data Name="BootTime">131377608731255994</Data>
    		<Data Name="PerfFreq">14318180</Data>
    		<Data Name="StartTime">131380696307108775</Data>
    		<Data Name="ReservedFlags">0x1</Data>
    		<Data Name="BuffersLost">       0</Data>
    		<Data Name="SessionNameString">hpcexcel</Data>
    		<Data Name="LogFileNameString">C:\Temp\hpclog\hpcexcel.etl</Data>
    	</EventData>
    	<RenderingInfo Culture="en-AU">
    		<Opcode>Header</Opcode>
    		<Provider>MSNT_SystemTrace</Provider>
    		<EventName xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/trace">EventTrace</EventName>
    	</RenderingInfo>
    	<ExtendedTracingInfo xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/trace">
    		<EventGuid>{68fdd900-4a3e-11d1-84f4-0000f80464e3}</EventGuid>
    	</ExtendedTracingInfo>
    </Event>
    </Events>

Monday, May 1, 2017 6:58 AM
  • Hi retep292,

The dumpfile has header only, which means there is no events generated by that logging provider. You can find the GUID in %CCP_HOME%\Bin\ExcelEvents.man

We will need more information for trying to repro your issue
    1. Which version of HPC Pack (the version number like 4.5.5158.0) are you using on head node, compute node and workstation node?
    2. What is the OS of your head node?
    3. Does the hpc excel event log on compute node only contain logs of level Critical, Error and Warning?
    4. Could you give us a minimum sample workbook to reproduce this issue? 

Thanks,
    Zihao

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:41 AM
  • Hi Zihao,

I have two separate HPC clusters. One cluster has only server compute nodes and the other cluster has only desktop workstation nodes. I have done some more testing by adding a workstation node to the server-only cluster and it is generating events as expected. Is there a cluster setting that enables/disables events that I have not configured correctly?

To answer your questions:

1. The HPC Pack version number is 4.5.5079.0 on all head nodes, compute nodes and workstation nodes.
    2. The head node OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 on both clusters.
    3. The Excel Admin Events event log contains Critical and Error events. The Excel Operational Events event log contains Error and Warning events.
    4. Here is an example workbook that should generate a Warning event log in Excel Operational Events (apparently I am not "verified" so I can't post links): https://1drv.ms/x/s!As-hAQ4gQFQ-qiFqTGZaaTIQkGQJ

Follow the instructions on the first sheet to run. This event will be generated:

Popup window 'Microsoft Visual Basic' may be blocking job progress. Consider changing your workbook to remove this popup or configuring popup bashing to automatically dismiss it. Window Message: 'Run-time error '9':

Subscript out of range' Window Class: '#32770'

Running the same workbook on my workstation-only cluster will not generate any warnings in event viewer.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:35 AM
  • Hi retep292,

I just did a simple test on a workstation node only HPC cluster (1HN-WinServer2016/HPC4.5.5152.0, 1WN-Win7/HPC4.5.5152.0) with your sample code and the logs were generated successfully. Then I need some time to build your environment for further testing.

Could you help testing whether logs can be generated if you add the new workstation node to your WORKSTATION ONLY cluster? This can help us identify if it is a cluster-wise problem or node-wise one.

Thanks,
    Zihao

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:07 AM
  • Hi Zihao,

I added my own PC as a workstation node on the workstation-only cluster and logs are being generated on that computer, so it looks like this is a node-wise problem.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:18 AM