I give up .... RRS feed

• Question

• I've had WHS for years, I was an early adopter, I ran the BETA version, the pre-release, and I've been using WHS for a long time. All the computers in the house are linked to it, we share documents, and we use it for backups, that is, all the computers in the house perform daily backups, successfully.

Then recently my son's computer got infected with a virus, and since he had been installing a bit too many games, we thought it could be a good time to restore back an earlier image and start clean. So the fun began...

First he's running Windows 7 32 bit. So I downloaded the latest WHS client, booted on his machine and tried to restore. The system found all the drives and devices but refused to find the WHS server. I read the forums, tried so many different things, connecting the PC and WHS directly to eachother, loading LAN drivers from a USB drive, using the LAN drivers downloaded from the internet, using the LAN drivers from a recent backup. Nothing worked. The realtek chipset on that motherboard refused to work with the WHS restore client. It worked fine on Win 7 and for backups but I just couldn't restore from it.

So I bought a new network card, installed it on the machine and presto, I got connected to WHS server. Meanwhile 2 weeks had passed. Connected to the WHS server, entered the password, selected the PC, selected the backup I needed, selected the partitions to go to. There are only 2. 100MB System Reserved and the main 500GB drive and launch. 1%, 2%, 3% ... Unknown Network error. Try again, progress a bit more and same error. Again and again and again. Connect the PCs together, no help. So I move the drive to another PC and run the software there. Same thing.

Ok, so everytime I try to run the restore, it goes a bit further then fails. It looks like it remembers where it stopped. Ok. Let's be persistent. Every time it fails, I restart. 10%, 20%, 30%,... 4 to 6h later, and maybe a dozen restarts, I get to 100%. Then I get a progress bar telling me it's going to take 24592 days ... again search the internet, find similar post, they tell me to be patient. Then it fails. I try again, it goes further, I try again, It finally tells me the backup is completed successfully. I try to boot. Not OSMgr, no boot.

Uhm, maybe the disk didn't have a clean state. I reformat clean all the aprtitions, and try the restore again. Same thing, 4-6h later and a dozen restart later, it tells me it's successful and I try to boot. No go. I try to repair the recovered disk, Windows 7 tells me to run chkdsk. I run it, it finds thousands upon thousands of errors and clean half the content of the disk. Then refuse to repair it.

At this point, I just give up. WHS backup system is useless. Between the fact that backups are not protected by disk failures (and are distributed across disks so a single disk failure can loose ALL your backups) and the fact the recovery is now impossible (It used to work, what have they done to the latest version ...) I just give up.

I checked the WHS event logs. Nothing. and the restore client gives you no logs either.

Solution, I'm going to rebuild my son's machine, then install a backup software and run the backups directly to WHS network share. At least they will be mirror protected AND I'll have access to the backup images. Hopefully that will work better.

My message to you: Don't use WHS for backups. Don't rely on it for Backups.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:55 PM

All replies

• The only restore method that I use is from a FAQ post:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/e3cd8791-5456-479b-943e-6399092363a7

It has not failed me yet, but, there's always a first time.

No need to install backup software if the above does not work.  Windows already has the software to do it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:32 PM
  • easy fix.... get the latest networking drivers... make sure you are downloading the correct ones.  The realteks are notorious for being picky on its network drivers.

also, when you recreated teh 100MB partition, did you remember to make it active?  something isnt right with the drives or the controller.  I would make sure those drivers are correct too.

I have recovered my system at least 20 times in the time i have had whs, several others in the house.  I run both win7 32bit and 64 bit.

My message to you, read the forums and the instructions.  If you have an issue ask.  Dont come on here and say dont use WHS for backups.  Because it works the best for windows.

• Proposed as answer by DrX69 Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:04 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:32 PM
  • My WHS v1 has never failed in restoring a backup for my previous Vista 32-bit or my current Windows 7 64-bit and I have restored it many times especially when Windows updates cause problems, as well as other programs that are not well written.

Colin

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:09 PM