none
Just want to make sure I am correct in my assumption. RRS feed

• Question

• First off, I love what home server has brought to my household as far a safety and backup of my families important files.

The only issue I have, and this stems from when I first tried it out, I installed it on an 80GB drive.

Am I correct in assuming that if the sys drive fails, then you basically are screwed.

There doesn't seem to be a way to have a redundant sys drive just for that type of situation, and from what I have read, making an image doesn't work too well and there are tons of steps to be taken to try do this any other way.

I am correct in that assumption?

Friday, March 4, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• You're not really screwed..

All of your data is stored on your storage pool drives on NTFS formatted drives, so if the system drive fails your data is still safe, you can just remove the storage pool drives, insert them into an external USB enclosure, and get your data off them using a different Windows PC.

Also if you have a dead system drive you should be able to remove the system drive, replace it, then start a system recovery.  If you do not have folder duplication turned on then the only data you will lose is whatever is on the 2nd partition (data partition) of your system drive.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:05 PM