none
Help! Drive Missing - Again! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need some urgent  help; I have had yet another drive go missing, this is the 4th one in the last 6 months!

I have again lost data even though duplication is switched on on all folders!

Why doesn't this ******* thing work how it is supposed to?

Anyway I have plugged the 'missing' drive into a Linux system and I can see the drive perfectly and thank goodness all my data.

I need to know how to proceed to get this drive back into my WHS pool.

Is there something I can run to recreate what ever WHS thinks is missing?

Do I have to copy off all my data (Is it from the DE\Shares or DE\folders directory?) reformat the drive and add it as a new drive to the WHS pool then copy my data back?

Thanks in advance,

John.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hi John,
    I had only the assumption, that a missing drive reflects itself somehow in the registry, but this seems not to be the case as I just enforced a drive go away from my virtual WHS.
    So maybe, if you can identify the correct drive properly in the registry, changing its values in Attributs for the BusType to USB and and for External to 1, shutting down the server and attaching the disk via USB could allow you to get the drive detected in the storage pool, remove it regulary from storage pool via console and later get it in again.
    But this is all not based on any tests, this is what I would try in a similar situation, which I did not yet experience.

The only other way is to remove the disk from the pool, copy the files in the hidden folder DE under shares to the Shares on the server over the network or the desktop shortcut on the server again, reinitialize the disk as outlined in the FAQ and add it to the storage pool again. Client backups may go lost in this scenario, if they have been stored on the that disk fully or partial, so a database repair or deletion may be the consequence.

(Another speculative reason for the disk to disappear I can imagine could also be thermal issues, so if the disk is getting too hot, it might not respond timely any more.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Villa Elsa Monday, January 12, 2009 4:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi John,
    there must be something wrong with your hardware (disk, cables, connectors, drivers, controller, Bios, maybe power save settings), since you experience something like this that often, while many others never have lost a single disk.
    You could login to your WHS, run regedit and check the subkeys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks.
    Maybe you can identify the disk and if there is something different change it manually to match the other disks again (before you do this, export the entire registry key to have a way back!) and reboot.
    Is there something in the event log of the server, indicating any disk problems (event source ntfs)?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have checked the registry keys you mentioned, but they are all different so I would not know what you would change.

The event log is full of disk stuff for today alone! but this is probably because I have plugged in other disks etc. and the other disk is missing.

What is the easiest way to get my misssing disk back to the WHS pool, with its data?

Regards,

John.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Hi John,
    I had only the assumption, that a missing drive reflects itself somehow in the registry, but this seems not to be the case as I just enforced a drive go away from my virtual WHS.
    So maybe, if you can identify the correct drive properly in the registry, changing its values in Attributs for the BusType to USB and and for External to 1, shutting down the server and attaching the disk via USB could allow you to get the drive detected in the storage pool, remove it regulary from storage pool via console and later get it in again.
    But this is all not based on any tests, this is what I would try in a similar situation, which I did not yet experience.

The only other way is to remove the disk from the pool, copy the files in the hidden folder DE under shares to the Shares on the server over the network or the desktop shortcut on the server again, reinitialize the disk as outlined in the FAQ and add it to the storage pool again. Client backups may go lost in this scenario, if they have been stored on the that disk fully or partial, so a database repair or deletion may be the consequence.

(Another speculative reason for the disk to disappear I can imagine could also be thermal issues, so if the disk is getting too hot, it might not respond timely any more.)

Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Villa Elsa Monday, January 12, 2009 4:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks for all your help as usual!

I tried option 1 to no avail but option 2 allowed me to get my data back.

Thanks again,

John.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:47 PM