none
Duplicating files to replaced hard drive instead of system drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an HP Mediasmart EX470. I have the original 500GB OS drive, and then I added two 1TB drives to the server.  I also have file dupllication enabled on all shares.

One of the 1TB drives failed, and I received a new drive.  I removed the defective drive via the Console, and the process moved files to the OS drive.  I then added a new drive by powering down the server and installed the drive.  I powered up the server, and then added the drive via the console, and all is well (in terms of the network being healthy).

What I would like to know is how can I get the files that are on the OS drive to duplicate to the newly installed drive.  I have read about a Drive Balancer app, but my concern is that application only spreads the data across the drives.  What I want the end result to be is across the two 1TB drives, all of the folders are duplicated across the two drives.

Any suggestions?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:13 AM

All replies

• The tool, which cleaned the DATA volume on the system disk does not longer work due to some changes in WHS. The only option, which comes into my mind and should work, would be to remove the files from the shared folder temporary, wait for a duplicaiton cycle to complete (happens each hour) and then copy the files back to the share.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf 
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:08 AM
  • There is no supported way to get Windows Home Server to move files from one disk to another other than, as Olaf has suggested, removing them from your server and moving them back afterward. But really, it shouldn't matter. The space free on the system drive no longer limits the files you can copy to your server. If you have duplication on for all shares, Windows Home Server will protect against the loss of any single drive (even the system drive) and if duplication is not turned on for all shares, you're already accepting the risk of data loss for files in any such shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  I understand that any new files will be saved to the new drives, I am seeing that already.  My concern is that I have a 1TB drive and it is doing nothing for the most part.  I also don't like that my OS drive is now showing 92% full because of the data that was migrated to it when the drive was removed.

What would happen if I turn off duplication on folders, and then enable it again?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:50 PM
  • It's entirely possible that cycling duplication in that fashion will return you to your present state. It's pretty harmless, though I would do one share at a time and wait for your server to finish "balancing" before moving on to the next one.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Drive Balancer also has a mode to force data off the system drive. In a three drive config with duplication, that should put all the data on your two data drives.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Hi all,

Last night I started with one of my smaller folders and turned off file duplication, waited about a 1/2 hour, and then enabled file duplication again.  It looks like the amount of data on the OS drive is starting to go down.

Evaders,

You mention that there is a mode for forcing the data off of the system drive, can you tell me how that gets done?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:49 PM
  • This is about the method I mentioned. Windows Home Server since PP1 will priorize the other drives in a multi disk scenario and leave the system disk as last option. But this doesn't force data, which is already stored there, to leave the drive.
    So temporary disabling duplication will bring the intended result only, if the primary file location was not linked to the system disk.
    If this is the case, only a short removal (or direct copy to another share - but not move) of the data will get the data from the system disk (excluded the backup database, which could also be stored partially there).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I appreciate everyone replying to this thread, I am certainly learning more and more about how this software works, which is great for me.  I enjoy learning about new technologies anyway.

Moving onto a somewhat new topic, backup strategy.  As stated before, I have a Mediasmart EX470.  It has the original 500GB OS drive, and 2 1TB drives in a storage pool.  For backups, I have a 500GB USB drive.  The 500GB drive is 95% full, so I am looking to upgrade that.

Is it possible to use multiple external hard drives for backup?  What I am thinking of doing is purchasing two 1TB USB drives.  Is it possible to use these drives individually rather than adding both of them to the backup pool?  I'd like to rotate these so that I always have one offsite.

I have one other question related to backups.  Right now I am backing up all of shares to an external drive.  Are there any files on the server I should be backing up as well?  My concern is that if the server itself crashes, am I still able to read the data that is backed up to an external drive?
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Backing up your shares is described sketchily in the console help files.

Yes, you can use multiple drives for backup. You will just remove a drive temporarily when you want to take it off-site. And you are able to read the backup drive on any computer that can read NTFS disks.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:07 PM
  • When you say remove the drive, do you mean disconnect?  Or do I have to run the remove from the console?  I thought I had read in a different forum that when using USB drives, it is best to remove them from the console rather than disconnecting them from the server w/out doing the removal process.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Removing a server backup drive is also in the help. I know it is because I have the help open. :) See the topic titled Tell me more about backing up my home server.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:05 PM