Slow file transfer, streaming and Console access RRS feed

• Question

• D'oh! I had typed out the post thinking I could attach screenshots but can't seem to find a way to upload - am I missing something or is there an alternative way I can share the screenshots?
    ---------------------

I've had my WHS for quite a while and I love it overall and though I never got around to sorting out network speed problems, I could always live with it as it did what I needed. Now (not sure since when, maybe since the setting up of PP3 to archive my recorded TV from my HTPC running Windows 7), things have become unbearable. File transfers over my 100Mbps ethernet network are around 1.5Mbp/s max, I can't stream recorded TV or videos from to the HTPC without stuttering, and the WHS Console is slow regardless of whether I RDP in or use it on the client machines. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure things out which I'd be very grateful for!

Here is the link to the DriverMax profile of my hardware and I have attached several screenshots in the hope that providing all this info might help a friendly expert on here diagnose the problem. I searched here and found a few broadly related topics but nothing quite matching my scenario. I did follow the steps outlined in this thread and found that the first of the two Primary IDE Channel devices listed had one channel originally in PIO mode, it's now at Ultra DMA Mode 2 but the other channel on it is as 'Not applicable' (WHSDeviceManager.jpg).

I also ran CHKDSK last night using the BAT file outlined in this thread though it seemed to stall at a certain stage due to conflicts, though it did seem to have run a lot of tests by that stage and no bad sectors were found (70 or so Large Records were processed if that's of interest). I'll try to get it to run tonight again. I've never seen folders listed as 'Failing' in the WHS Console before but several now are (WHSStorage.jpg) and several conflicts are reported - could that be related to running CHKDSK?

I'm not well up on network adapter settings but from searching around I saw suggestions to set it to Full Negotiation on all machines. Closest option I could find was 100Mbps Full so that's what I did on both machines and I also set Flow Control to Enabled on one machine and 'Flow Rx Pause' on the server as that was the closest option I could see. This dropped file transfer speed to 500Kbp/s or thereabouts both to and from server folders (accessed directly in Windows Explorer, not via Console). Interestingly, on my netbook I was getting 2.5Mbp/s transfers over wireless G (better than the ethernet performance). What's the right way to setup the network adapter settings?

I never used to look at EventViewer but did as part of this investigation and there's thousands of errors and warnings listed over the past year, many related to Windows Search Service, SSL problems, and a there's a lot related to the Lexmark wireless printer on my network and things like OneNote drivers that suggest to me they might be related to remote desktop accessing the WHS from the HTPC (which is my preferred way of working on the WHS). I've included screenshots of the warnings and errors recently listed under both Application and System.

I have Squeezebox Server running on the WHS but I think I disabled most other things (like Orb) as part of the investigation process to try to isolate the root cause. I centralize my recorded tv and downloaded videos, and my photos and music onto the server for access on machines and Xbox 360s around the house.

Beyond that, there's not much extra context I can think to add, but if there's anything else I can provide that might help figure things out, just let me know. REALLY appreciate any help to get this setup working to its full fantastic potential!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:58 AM

All replies

• D'oh! I had typed out the post thinking I could attach screenshots but can't seem to find a way to upload - am I missing something or is there an alternative way I can share the screenshots?
    ---------------------

I've had my WHS for quite a while and I love it overall and though I never got around to sorting out network speed problems, I could always live with it as it did what I needed. Now (not sure since when, maybe since the setting up of PP3 to archive my recorded TV from my HTPC running Windows 7), things have become unbearable. File transfers over my 100Mbps ethernet network are around 1.5Mbp/s max, I can't stream recorded TV or videos from to the HTPC without stuttering, and the WHS Console is slow regardless of whether I RDP in or use it on the client machines. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure things out which I'd be very grateful for!

Here is the link to the DriverMax profile of my hardware and I have attached several screenshots in the hope that providing all this info might help a friendly expert on here diagnose the problem. I searched here and found a few broadly related topics but nothing quite matching my scenario. I did follow the steps outlined in this thread and found that the first of the two Primary IDE Channel devices listed had one channel originally in PIO mode, it's now at Ultra DMA Mode 2 but the other channel on it is as 'Not applicable' (WHSDeviceManager.jpg).

I also ran CHKDSK last night using the BAT file outlined in this thread though it seemed to stall at a certain stage due to conflicts, though it did seem to have run a lot of tests by that stage and no bad sectors were found (70 or so Large Records were processed if that's of interest). I'll try to get it to run tonight again. I've never seen folders listed as 'Failing' in the WHS Console before but several now are (WHSStorage.jpg) and several conflicts are reported - could that be related to running CHKDSK?

I'm not well up on network adapter settings but from searching around I saw suggestions to set it to Full Negotiation on all machines. Closest option I could find was 100Mbps Full so that's what I did on both machines and I also set Flow Control to Enabled on one machine and 'Flow Rx Pause' on the server as that was the closest option I could see. This dropped file transfer speed to 500Kbp/s or thereabouts both to and from server folders (accessed directly in Windows Explorer, not via Console). Interestingly, on my netbook I was getting 2.5Mbp/s transfers over wireless G (better than the ethernet performance). What's the right way to setup the network adapter settings?

I never used to look at EventViewer but did as part of this investigation and there's thousands of errors and warnings listed over the past year, many related to Windows Search Service, SSL problems, and a there's a lot related to the Lexmark wireless printer on my network and things like OneNote drivers that suggest to me they might be related to remote desktop accessing the WHS from the HTPC (which is my preferred way of working on the WHS). I've included screenshots of the warnings and errors recently listed under both Application and System.

I have Squeezebox Server running on the WHS but I think I disabled most other things (like Orb) as part of the investigation process to try to isolate the root cause. I centralize my recorded tv and downloaded videos, and my photos and music onto the server for access on machines and Xbox 360s around the house.

Beyond that, there's not much extra context I can think to add, but if there's anything else I can provide that might help figure things out, just let me know. REALLY appreciate any help to get this setup working to its full fantastic potential!
    Is this from every client (or just one)?  You might check for an updated driver for the NIC in your server.  It could also be the network cabling, router, failing NIC, etc.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Is this from every client (or just one)?  You might check for an updated driver for the NIC in your server.  It could also be the network cabling, router, failing NIC, etc.

Thanks kariya21. It's the same from every client - 4 different machines. Transferring files between those machines directly (i.e. WHS not involved) seems to be much faster so I don't think it's an overall problem with my network infrastructure, but will test that again.

My NIC drivers are up-to-date on all machines according to Driver Max, but I'll double check for separate drivers to see if it makes a difference.....though I think that might be unlikely given that DriverMax normally does a great job on my other machines (though I know DriverMax isn't explicitly designed to work with WHS/Windows Server).
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:44 AM
  • I have uploaded the screenshots to a file sharing site and have included the links below in case they help with figuring out the root cause of these issues. Thanks.

A
    D
    C
    D
    D
    B
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hi, just bumping this thread in the hope of getting some help as I'd really like to try to get it sorted out this weekend as I have a bit of time I can spend investigating it. Thanks.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:02 PM
  • the thing is I dont think you are going to get much more on a 100mbps I only get about the same. The Only thing different is streaming to my 360 which has no problems. I am thinking about upgrading to 1gb soon as both my PC and the Server both have Gigabit lan adapters in.
    HMG
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:08 PM
  • the thing is I dont think you are going to get much more on a 100mbps I only get about the same. The Only thing different is streaming to my 360 which has no problems. I am thinking about upgrading to 1gb soon as both my PC and the Server both have Gigabit lan adapters in.
    HMG

Thanks HMG, are you sure about that though? I'm no expert but I really don't think 2.5Mbp/s is the top speed capable over a 100Mbps wired network. My feeling is that the issue is on the WHS side, not the network side. I don't expect to get 50Mbp/s transfers, but do hope to get more than the current rates, which render my WHS useless as I can't stream any of the video files stored on it.

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Thanks HMG, are you sure about that though? I'm no expert but I really don't think 2.5Mbp/s is the top speed capable over a 100Mbps wired network.

As long as you are putting the correct capitalization (Mb/s vs. MB/s), I agree that is terrible (that's only 2.5% utilization).  Even if you should be putting MB/s (which would be 20% utilization), it's still not that great for a wired connection.  I get around 11 MB/s (which translates to 88 Mb/s, or 88% utilization) in my 100 Mb LAN (including to and from my server).

My feeling is that the issue is on the WHS side, not the network side. I don't expect to get 50Mbp/s transfers, but do hope to get more than the current rates, which render my WHS useless as I can't stream any of the video files stored on it.

Why do you have 7 failing shares?  Is there a problem with one of your hard drives?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:11 AM
  • As long as you are putting the correct capitalization (Mb/s vs. MB/s), I agree that is terrible (that's only 2.5% utilization).  Even if you should be putting MB/s (which would be 20% utilization), it's still not that great for a wired connection.  I get around 11 MB/s (which translates to 88 Mb/s, or 88% utilization) in my 100 Mb LAN (including to and from my server).

Why do you have 7 failing shares?  Is there a problem with one of your hard drives?

Thanks kariya21. It's taken a while to get a clear picture on this as I was short on spare time and was trying to get the CHKDSK script from the other thread/KB article linked to elsewhere on this forum completed on the WHS. It kept asking if I wanted it to run at the next restart; I entered Y, and then 3 command prompts opened but eventually all stalled around the 20% mark, though none reported a bad sector by that point. Eventually I restarted it but I couldn't see CHKDSK run on start-up as I access it via remote desktop.

I have now remote desktopped into it and opened Event Viewer and it shows 5 CHKDSK entries indicating CHKDSK ran in read-only mode on a volume snapshot. So, it doesn't show any disk errors and all shares in the WHS Console are now back listed as Healthy: I think they were only showing as Failing before as CHKDSK was running at the time (that's the only time I've ever seen drives listed as Failing - this issue has been going on long before that once-off case of shares listed as Failing).

I've done a few tests on transferring video files and here's the broad breakdown (and you were dead right - I was previously making mistakes in Mb/s vs MB/s):

MediaCenterPC (wired) to Server (wired): 500KB/s
    MediaCenterPC (wired) internet downloads: 1.2MB/s
    MediaCenterPC (wired) to Netbook (wireless): 760KB/s
    Netbook (wireless) to Server (wired): 2.5MB/s
    Netbook (wireless) to MediaCenterPC (wired): 1.1MB/s
    Netbook (wireless) internet downloads: 2400KB/s
    Netbook (wireless) to laptop (1.1MB/s)

So they are some pretty strange (and disappointing) speeds and may suggest that I have an issue with my network (which I installed myself 4 years ago), but they do suggest I should at least marginally better speeds to and from the server than I am.

This weekend I hope to bring all the hardware into one room and wire them all directly to the router there. That should confirm if there's any issues with the wires that I have running through the walls. Before doing that I'll try out other network adapter drivers on all machines from the manufacturers' websites.

I'd appreciate any advice on what settings configuration on the network adapter is generally recommended to get best network performance - i.e. should Flow Control be Enabled or Disabled; should Speed/Duplex be Auto, 100Mb Full, 100Mb Half, should Jumbo Packet be Disabled? Just want to ensure that I don't have a configuration problem before going and moving all the hardware, so thanks for any tips.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:56 PM