enumerate web db connection strings. RRS feed

• Question

• I was tasked to get website names, path to the folder, and group/users and group members to those websites. I have been able to figure out and get that information however after getting that information it was added that I needed to also get, from what the GUI reports as " Connection String ". From what I can tell it is the information as to what database sources that particular website is using. I have searched for a day now and can't find any examples as to where to look or even what to look for, I hope you can point me in the correct direction where I can get this information. I have even tried to find the information in config files on the server but, I can't find where that info is stored either. I am pretty sure it's somewhere because if you go into the GUI pick a website and the icon that looks like can with a small ab on it it sends you to a list and location of databases that website uses. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, September 4, 2019 9:45 PM This is not "scripts on demand"
    Monday, May 6, 2019 6:19 PM

All replies

• For all web questions you need to post in the correct web forum. http://forums.iis.net

Please post you issue in that forum as it is the official forum for IIS and IIS related questions.

This Forum is for   Scripting   Questions Rather than script requests

How to ask   questions in a technical forum

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 6, 2019 6:45 PM
  • I am sorry I wasn't clear with my question this is a scripting question I am writing a script to enumerate all the websites on a web server to get the connection string. should this still be in the IIS forum?
    Monday, May 6, 2019 7:44 PM
  • It is a question about how to get information from a web server. It is not a question about a script.  Post in IIS forum.  They will help you to sort this out.

I can hint that you need to parse al of the web.config files for the connectionStrings element.  This can also be done with utilities.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 6, 2019 7:52 PM