Windows 7 & Homegroup RRS feed

• Question

• i am running a Dell Inspiron 530 on Windows 7 Release Candidate Build 7100, i quite like the idea of the windows 7 homegroup, in vista i found sharing folders very unreliable and often had to use the dell networking assisant to make it work properly so the homegroup seemed like a perfect solution and i got it working perfectly and really liked it, but as soon as i installed my security software in this case mcafee i could no longer use homegroup on either of the 2 PC's.

according to the homegroup troubleshooter most firewalls block the use of windows 7 homegroup, the only exception is what the troubleshooter calls "windows certified firewalls" i cannot find any information on how to determine whether any given security software is one of these windows certified firewalls or not and do not no where to begin, so i thought about onecare after all it is built by microsoft so one would assume that onecare would work well with homegroup and be one of these certified firewalls.

however i have learnt from experience never to take such things for granted, my mcafee subscription runs out in December so i will not be changing packages until then, but windows 7 which i have preoredered 2 copies of 1 for each of my 2 PC's comes on October 27th so ill be running with dell network assistant for a while, i just want to find the right package to move to when the time comes, can anyone advise me whether or not onecare supports the homegroup feature and whether or not it even works in windows 7?
    Stuart Bennett
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:32 AM

Answers

• OneCare will not work in Windows 7. OneCare is being retired and its replacement, Microsoft Security Essentials, is currently being tested. it will work on Win7, is free for all users, and is an antivirus/antispyware program only - it does not contain a firewall or other features of OneCare.
    Since Home Groups are unique to Windows 7, OneCare does not need to support it as XP and Vista machines cannot be part of a Home Group and connect to shared resources on a Windows 7 machine (or share resources to a Win7 machine) via File and Printer Sharing.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:29 PM

All replies

• OneCare will not work in Windows 7. OneCare is being retired and its replacement, Microsoft Security Essentials, is currently being tested. it will work on Win7, is free for all users, and is an antivirus/antispyware program only - it does not contain a firewall or other features of OneCare.
    Since Home Groups are unique to Windows 7, OneCare does not need to support it as XP and Vista machines cannot be part of a Home Group and connect to shared resources on a Windows 7 machine (or share resources to a Win7 machine) via File and Printer Sharing.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:29 PM
  • thanks steve, ill look into that one, after all windows defender and windows firewalls cover the missing functions that onecare had that these security essentials won't right?
    Stuart Bennett
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Stuart,

You're basically right, however, Microsoft Security Essentials is a complete anti-malware including anti-spyware, which is what Windows Defender does so it's not required either.  MSE will disable Windows Defender when it is installed, so MSE is all you'll need for malware protection.

Also, you're correct that the Windows 7 Firewall is effective protection in combination with MSE.  In fact, Microsoft has found that personal firewalls like the one in Onecare and other products really just confuse most users and result in exactly the kind of problems you are having.  For this and other reasons, they decided to create MSE as a simple anti-malware only product with no addtional firewall.

Rob
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:09 PM
  • excellant thanks for that, will it be out out of beta by win7's general availability date?
    Stuart Bennett
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:00 PM
  • The only official word is that it will be released in the second half of 2009.  However, it does seem likely they'd try to have it out by the time Windows 7 is released (October 22nd), doesn't it?  Especially since it's already running quite well on most systems and Windows 7 is the only OS currently unable to run OneCare.

Rob
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:49 PM
  • thanks, any news as to when MS Security Essentials will be beta'ed here in the UK?
    Stuart Bennett
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:00 PM
  • When the beta opens back up, you'll be able to install it as the only restriction right now is the OS language, not location. English is supported.
    I don't know when it will be opened for more users, but you'll be able to sign up from here:

Microsoft Security Esentials Beta

-steve

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 11:57 AM
  • i get the following error on the site

"Not available in your country or region

You appear to be in a country or region where the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta is unavailable.

This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only)."

so it must detect my location / region from my windows settings.

Stuart Bennett
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Correct. it does check, but you still won't be prevented from signing up and downloading from Connect, although I do expect that they will also open it up to other regions. ;-)
    -steve
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:44 PM