Problem with panos shot with a 1200mm telephoto RRS feed

• Question

• There is a problems with panos shot with a 1200mm telephoto: ICE computes a too large horizontal angle.

As a result, if there are over about 40 horizontal shots, ICE recons that the angle is over 360°.

It therefore produces a bad 360° pano, with mixed-up images.

For more info and supporting files, you can contact me at 2011 "at" magiview.com

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:06 PM

All replies

• 1200mm sounds like a special lens.  My guess is that the focal length is not stored in the EXIF data for this case.  This means that ICE will not have a good initial estimate.  Can you check what is in the EXIF data for your images.  exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ ) is a good way to easily inspect your exif information.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Thank you very much, Matt. And sorry for my late answer

It is actually a recent Nikon 600mm f4 VR lens with a recent Nikon TC-20E III 2x teleconverter.
    The focal length is recognized by Windows Explorer, so I guess it is stored in the EXIF data.

I also noticed the same problem with my 600mm without teleconverter.

I guess the same would happen with any lens.

As I remember, you shoot with a 300mm.
    When held vertical, a 300mm lens covers a horizontal angle of about 4.5°.
    Try assembling a pano of 40 vertical photos shot in one row : with a 20% overlap, it should cover about 140°.
    But I think that ICE will see it as being over 360° and therefore won't be able to assemble the pano.

I'll also try and do the test myself in the coming days and will let you know the result.

Note that the problem doesn't appear when shooting 40 columns with many rows...

• Edited by MagiView Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Hi, Matt

Here is an example of a pano of 39 horizontal photos shot in one row with a NIKON D7000 (16x24 sensor) and a 400mm lens (equivalent to 600mm with a 24x36mm sensor).

These photos cover an angle of just over 90°.

ICE can’t stitch them all properly because it thinks that they cover 360° (or more!):

(The stitching errors are obvious if you enlarge the image).

To successfully stitch the pano, I stitched 22 photos at a time (with 3 photos overlap) and saved these two panos as TIF files, using ICE.
    Then with ICE, I stitched the two TIF files, and got a good pano – see its 8% thumbnail below:

Is this sufficient as info?

I guess that you can try it for yourself just by stitching 40 photos of one row of one of your gigapixels panos.

Any chance that this issue may be addressed one day?

For more info, you can mail me at "2011 at magiview dot com" or phone me at +32 475 55 2026 (Belgian time).

Thanks, Jacques

• Edited by MagiView Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:40 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:29 PM