"File is Open" conflict RRS feed

• Question

• All my computers are getting constant warnings about a file conflict in my iTunes library folder. When I go to the details, it just says "File is open". That's true; I keep iTunes running on one machine all the time, with its library on the WHS. I don't understand why that is consdiered a problem. What can I do to eliminate this unnecessary warning?

Note: I am aware that I cannot share an iTunes library across multiple iTunes instances without risking corruption. Only one computer ever opens the library.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:43 PM

Answers

• The warning is because Drive Extender can't migrate/duplicate a file that's being held open. If it's held open for an extended period (24 hours, I believe) you will see that warning.

If you're keeping iTunes open so you can stream your library, and you have a home-built Windows Home Server machine, you might want to take a look at Firefly, an open source media server that uses the DAAP protocol (the same protocol that iTunes uses for streaming). If you have an HP, you already have Firefly; that's what HP used for the iTunes streaming.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:36 PM