validation RRS feed

• Question

• My current version of windows XP, SP2 is not genuine. I have an older version of windows XP without the SP2 and would like to install it to replace the not genuine one. Can I do this, and How?
    Friday, June 2, 2006 8:38 PM

Answers

• The current version installed is XP Professional version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 . I would like to install an older Genuine version of XP professional version 2002 that does not have SP2. Then I can update to SP2.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 8:14 PM
  • Neilster,

As I understand your situation, you have a nongenuine installation of XP Pro SP2 on the computer now, but you would like to use a genuine copy of XP no SP to replace the nongenuine.

MS has developed a tool that attempts to convert nongenuine XP Pro installations into genuine installations by changing the Product Key to the one on the genuine copy of XP Pro.

This tool does not always work, because it may not be able to correct all of the damaged and "cracked" files in your nongenuine installation, but it is certainly worth a try.

Here is the link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Monday, June 5, 2006 9:21 PM

All replies

• Nielster,

As a general rule, you will have to offload your valuable files and do a clean installation of the XP that is valid.

But there might be an exception.  What edition (Home, Pro, Media Center?) of XP is now installed and what is to be installed?

Friday, June 2, 2006 10:57 PM
  • The current version installed is XP Professional version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 . I would like to install an older Genuine version of XP professional version 2002 that does not have SP2. Then I can update to SP2.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 8:14 PM
  • My current version installed that is not genuine is Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2699 sp2 build 2600. i would like to install a genuine version of windows xp Professional version 2002. Then update to sp2
    Monday, June 5, 2006 8:20 PM
  • Neilster,

As I understand your situation, you have a nongenuine installation of XP Pro SP2 on the computer now, but you would like to use a genuine copy of XP no SP to replace the nongenuine.

MS has developed a tool that attempts to convert nongenuine XP Pro installations into genuine installations by changing the Product Key to the one on the genuine copy of XP Pro.

This tool does not always work, because it may not be able to correct all of the damaged and "cracked" files in your nongenuine installation, but it is certainly worth a try.

Here is the link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Monday, June 5, 2006 9:21 PM