ntfs.sys crashes whatever boot solution is used RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

If any MVP out here - greetings from an ex :-)

Looks like I'm completely stuck with a broken NTFS disk (or a partition). One day the system didn't get of hiberbation. The cursor kept blinking and I had to push the reset button. No surprise - the system was ruined. The BSOD with ntfs.sys and error 0x..50 keep arriving at *any* boot attempt:

- safe mode (any)

- original DVD (after it copies initial files)

- Windows 7 DVD

- WS 2008 EE DVD.

Funny enough, I tried an XP disc and it got through! But it sees empty partitions instead of the real data. But there were two dynamic partitions!

More info:

- BIOS says the disk is OK

- no matter how I connect disks (there are three physical ones)

- no backups.

As a long-time developer I suspect that NTFS is broken in a way that ntfs.sys can't figure out and crashes itself. That page_fault_in_nonpaged_area is a good guess, heh?

What is really interesting - I can't reinstall OS. Because it crashes. Looks like low-level formating would be a solution, but.. I still dream to recover the system. It's been a long way to install and configure everything.

Any idea how to fight?

Monday, July 4, 2016 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In general, if the system cannot even be entered with safe mode which starts system with a minimal set of drivers and services, I would recommend you to check the hardware related factors. 

Details about Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, reference link below:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Well, disks may break, controllers may break, cables may break, also the mainboard or the memory may... So how old is the box?

What I would test, if the disk can be seen as secondary drive in a normal PC and then run chkdsk against the disk to see, if there are damaged sectors or logical structures involved.

Depending from the WHS version (you posted in the 2011 section, the following happens on WH v. 1) the partition may look empty on the data volumes, if you have not enabled to show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer.

If you use WHS v.1 you could check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to figure out, how to access surviving data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 7:05 AM

All replies

• A screenshot..

Monday, July 4, 2016 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

In general, if the system cannot even be entered with safe mode which starts system with a minimal set of drivers and services, I would recommend you to check the hardware related factors. 

Details about Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, reference link below:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Well, disks may break, controllers may break, cables may break, also the mainboard or the memory may... So how old is the box?

What I would test, if the disk can be seen as secondary drive in a normal PC and then run chkdsk against the disk to see, if there are damaged sectors or logical structures involved.

Depending from the WHS version (you posted in the 2011 section, the following happens on WH v. 1) the partition may look empty on the data volumes, if you have not enabled to show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer.

If you use WHS v.1 you could check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to figure out, how to access surviving data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 7:05 AM