Windows Home Server 2011 supported/certified/capable hardware lists? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I heard somewhere that, to install and run WHS 2011, I need to have the hardware that support it, because it is based on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Is this true or not?

If it is true, can anyone tell me the list of hardware in categorized manner of each hardware parts that built for PC/Server manner?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:09 AM

All replies

• Don't quote me on this, I think Windows Server 2008 R2 is a bit more lenient with hardware unlike Server 2003.

Windows XP and Server 2003 were virtually 2 different OS whereas Win7 and 2008 R2 are pretty much the same, both sharing same kernel etc.

HMG
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:11 AM
  • I have a Dell T110 II and it would not install WHS v1 and had no problem with 2011.  It only needed the chipset driver, and not really necessary for the install.

I just installed my printer drivers for the T110 and use the Canon Windows 7 64-bit and they worked just fine.

This OS looks as easy to install as Windows 7.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Ajy,

I have been looking for a Hardware compatibility list (HCL) for WHS 2011 and haven't had any success. It seems MS has only released a minimum for the hardware needs. Most of the times you can find drivers  for either Win7 or 2k8r2 that will work  for WHS. That being said it also depends on what services you are going to be providing to the client systems.  which will determine the best HW for you to use. I have installed it on everything from an Atom Based Mini server to a Dual Xeon based server, the only issue I had was when i tried to run it on a Mac as a virtual machine, didn't like that and after a few tries gave up on it. My suggestion is use some fairly recent HW Intel AMD  whichever that uses  common place components for video, network SATA controllers . Just because the drivers dont say they are for WHS doesnt mean they wont work, it may be as simple as installing the driver , to modifying the installation  files. When you get done you will know more about the way your server works and have a better sense of what is going on if and when something goes wonky with the server

My $.002

chris meredith

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:41 PM
  • I have been looking for a Hardware compatibility list (HCL) for WHS 2011 ...

Because Windows Home Server isn't available as a software only package in the retail channel (what you buy from e-tailers is a system builder package, not retail software), it's unlikely that you will ever see an HCL for the product. Your best bet is to find hardware that's compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 that additionally meets the minimum requirements for Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:22 AM