Adding Outlook Contacts to CRM RRS feed

• Question

•  

One of the issues we face in deploying CRM in the legal market is how to allow users to add their contacts to CRM efficiently.  To date, we've only been able to advise them to click the "Track in CRM" and "Set Parent" buttons for each of their business-related contacts.

We've considered exporting each user's Outlook contacts to CSV, importing them to CRM, deleting their Outlook contacts, and pushing their CRM contacts to Outlook.  But that would also be time-consuming, and potentially disastrous if any errors cropped up in the process.  And since not all fields are synched, data could be lost.

We'd like a process whereby we take all of a user's Outlook contacts, or all those marked with a certain category, and add them to CRM.

Is there anything we're missing in 3.0 that would help?  And is there anything in Titan that would help?  I haven't installed CTP3 yet, but the supporting documentation isn't promising.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:17 PM

Answers

• I think your second approach would work fine with a few modifications:

Export their Outlook contacts into a CSV, and aggregate all of the users' contacts into a master CSV for import. You can add a column to indicate the owner of the contact. You will want to do some data cleansing at this stage to avoid importing duplicates. You should be able to import the data into CRM without losing any data, though you are correct that when pushed back to the users' Outlook client, they may not get back all of the data they started with. However, the data won't be lost, it will now be in CRM. The only other step I would modify is that I wouldn't delete the users' Outlook data until you've verified all the data in CRM, thus avoiding any disasters of lost data.

Friday, September 7, 2007 4:54 PM

All replies

• I think your second approach would work fine with a few modifications:

Export their Outlook contacts into a CSV, and aggregate all of the users' contacts into a master CSV for import. You can add a column to indicate the owner of the contact. You will want to do some data cleansing at this stage to avoid importing duplicates. You should be able to import the data into CRM without losing any data, though you are correct that when pushed back to the users' Outlook client, they may not get back all of the data they started with. However, the data won't be lost, it will now be in CRM. The only other step I would modify is that I wouldn't delete the users' Outlook data until you've verified all the data in CRM, thus avoiding any disasters of lost data.

Friday, September 7, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Sorry, not much can be done apart from what you have already suggested. On the bright side, you can expect some significant improvements in the next version :-)

Saturday, September 8, 2007 2:09 AM